Why don't apple .... buying online ...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacHiavelli, Oct 18, 2007.

1. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

Looking to buy a MBP online from the Apple store.

They offer a chance for you to buy an ACD at the same time, but why not also offer you mice and external keyboards on the same order (I know you can go in separately)? And why not offer to sell Win XP and Vista for those who of us who have to have Win? They don't have to install it and they don't have to accept any responsibility for Win ... they just make the purchase process easier and add some wanda to their bottom line.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Because they're not that common purchases...they could also put headphones in there, but it would just clutter up the buying process...

3. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

Hey - thanks for the reply. But when I read the boards, LOTS of people seem to have mice and keyboards for their MBs and MBPs when they're "at their desks" .... would have thought they were fairly common purchases, but maybe not. :rolleyes:

Cheers

:D

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Fairly common purchases yes, but that doesn't mean that they've purchased their mice and keyboards directly from Apple. For instance, for serious work on my MBP I use a small laptop mouse from a third party, and use the keyboard from my finacee's old iMac when she's not on the computer.

5. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

Yep, but can't help think that Apple could make a few more quid by offering these on the main Mac purchasing pages .... people like me want a simple deal ... don't want to go looking on the rest of the Apple site for bits, just want a simple click and buy for the convenience. Other PC manufacturers have add ons on their store pages and I'm sure they pick up plenty of extra business this way.

Don't understand why when selecting software you can only choose iWork OR Logic Express OR Final Cut, etc. Why not let people buy everything? Or Why only one ADC - I might want 2...

6. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Personally, whenever I buy Dells, I hate having to go through 5 pages of options checking what I do and don't want. Customizing the guts of my computer is nice, but I really don't need 15 possible software packages to choose from, a printer, and ext. hard drive, etc. Most of that stuff I may already have, and if I don't and need it, I can still purchase it with my order (that's what a shopping cart is fore.

Regarding software, all choices are pre-installed on your computer, more options means taking more time to get an order ready for shipment. Not to mention that it begins to look a lot like "craplets" that come on every Dell I've ever bought.

And as far as your windows question goes, don't be silly. Apple created boot camp as a way to convenience people who need to have certain Windows programs, but there's no way they'd sell it, support it, or promote it.

7. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Same reason you can't buy a BigMac at PF Changs. I can see your point on the keyboard, but even with Bootcamp I just do not see Apple selling copies of Windows. If you need it all from one place I think MacMall will even install Windows for you as long as you buy Parallels with your Mac

8. stu.sutherland macrumors newbie

Doesn't the Apple Store have a "virtual basket" So you can add stuff to your basket and then pay for it all as one order??

You don't go to the supermarkets and find chicken next to the curry sauces.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

OP, is it really that hard to add a mouse and keyboard to your order? It would take all of two more minutes no?;)

As for Windows, the reason is probably because it isn't "officially" supported yet (Leopard will have the first "rea" copy of Bootcamp with it), and because it poses a threat to OS X. How else will OS X usage increase? You have to make people at least try it out;) Either way, you seem to be a bit worked up over a fairly minor inconvenience.

10. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I can configure an apple laptop in less then 10 secs, i dare you configure a dell laptop on there site and spend less then 5 mins doing so. I once spent like 15 mins going though everything they offered.