Why don't apple make a display smaller than 27"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by oxfordguy, Jun 30, 2012.

1. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

I was wondering why Apple don't make a display smaller than 27" anymore? 27" is far too big for many desks (and is very expensive), why no longer a 23" display at least?

Am looking instead at a Dell Ultrasharp U2412M to connect to my Macbook Air, which you can at least get with a silver bezel (though it seems at a cost premium to the black version), unlike many other displays, but the production quality on this doesn't look close to the Apple display, although I guess at least it does offer some display inputs (DVI, VGA etc.) that the Apple display doesn't, which could be useful if I want to connect an X Box or other game console.

2. Liquinn Suspended

Not too sure, but when you've had a 27" display, you wish you could have a bigger monitor. I'd love to see them make a 24" monitor again.

3. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Another vote here for that 24" that they discontinued. It was a really nice in-between model.

4. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

+1 for a smaller monitor.

I would like to buy a second monitor for my desk. I currently have a dell 2209wa which has served me well for some time but after having a two display setup for work for a few months think it would be nice at home too.

The TBD is great but I can't justify spending that amount of money when my current photo editing laptop is a windows one with no TB!

Incidentally @oxfordguy I got my dell from pcbuyit and wouldn't hesitate to use them again. Service was first class and the price excellent.

5. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

They do make a smaller tbd display, its called iMac 21,5" ;)

6. blueicedj macrumors 6502

seems like you might as well being that it's only $200 more than a thunderbolt display. It is smaller, but it has a whole computer in it! Wonder why the thunderbolt display is so expensive...

7. oxfordguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

But I could buy a decent 24" Dell IPS monitor for less than £240... I'd be prepared to pay a bit more than that if Apple made a 24" monitor, though, as the quality would likely be better.

8. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I imagine the OEM cost between a 21.5" and 27" LCD panel is not that great so if the choice is a $999 27" display or a $799 (or even $899) 21.5" display, what customer would not get the 27"?

So from an inventory standpoint, easier to just stock one display and make it the largest.