iPad Why "Don't buy" an iPad Air2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Delaide, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Delaide macrumors newbie

Having waited for Apple's latest media event to decide if now is a good time to buy an iPad Air, I've learnt that an upgrade is not due till fall 2016. So why would the Buyers Guide recommend "Don't Buy"? They surely don't expect buyers to wait 12 months?

2. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

They would go two years until the Air 3?

3. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I was just looking at that page myself. I wonder the same thing, why should one not buy the Air 2 if an update isn't for 6-12 months?

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Probably. If they were doing a minimal upgrade this year they would've by now.

5. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It is odd though. Apple could plan to upgrade the Air and Pro at separate times.

6. addictzz macrumors 6502

I think it's just 'coded' such a way that after a certain period, the product is flagged as 'Don't Buy'.

Normally iPad has 1 year lifecycle (except for iPad 3 to iPad 4). Passing a year without an upgrade like this is considered unusual.

7. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Last year was practically a non-existent upgrade for the mini. I suspect that Apple will try to stagger the ipads now that there are 3 versions, not to mention a 6S Plus which leans towards the design of the ipad. If I were apple, I'd try for upgrading each once every three years, but stagger each one to maximize. The next option would be every two years, staggered: ipad pro Fall 2015, 2017, 2019, ipad mini Spring 2016, 2018 2020, ipad air: Winter32016, 2018, 2020. The goal here is to keep close in size ipads apart. Changing line designs costs money.

8. Leonick macrumors newbie

Sure, but then why update the Mini now? Wouldn't they save that for whenever they update the Air?

The fact that the new Mini only got the A8 points to the Air 2 staying around for a year as well as it keeps it weaker than the Air 2. Apple (unfortunately for those of use who like the smaller form factor) want the Air to be the stronger device, if it was going to get an update soon they could have put more power in the Mini.

Also wouldn't be surprised if they're going to have three tiers now with the Pro having the fastest SoC with the Air in the middle and Mini on the lower end. In the case they can't really upgrade the Air either as it would catch up to the Pro. Is screen size and optional peripherals enough of a differentiator for them?

Don't know about every three years but they certainly could go every other year. Upgrade cycle isn't yearly for as large a part of the userbase as it is for the iPhone so doing every other year could probably be of some benefit. They can't be too far apart though, probably don't want the iPhone to catch up or overtake in SoC performance.

9. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

Different target audiences. Someone buying a Mini is probably not torn between the Mini and the Pro. A new Air, on the other hand, is much more likely to cannibalize potential Pro sales.

10. Kajje macrumors 6502a

Kajje

I'd buy a new Air2 in a snap. It's was beast at the time of introduction and it is still to date. Basically there isn't much left to improve except adding Force Touch and stylus support.

The Air2 is a keeper.

11. Billy95Tech Suspended

Still holding my breathe for a October update for the Ipad Air 3.

Really hope soo anyway!!

But most properly i be getting the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 soon. :)

12. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Got my Air 2 Last Year, It will go down as the best iPad Ever. A8X CPU 3 Cores 2GB RAM IGZO Retina Display, paper thing OMG
    and its gonna live for 2 years +. Because what can the iPad Air 3 deliver ?

A9 CPU nope thats in use in the iPhones A9X thats for the iPAd Pro

The iPad Air 2 can't be upgraded by much they can't make it thinner

Unless the iPad Air 3 has a A9X CPU and 3D Force Touch I'm keeping my iPad Air 2 for 3 years +

So yes 100% buy the iPad Air 2 especially if you know any kid who can use his 20% off EDU

13. newellj macrumors 603

I would bet that's right.

14. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I've been chugging along on my iPad 3 with high hopes to upgrade to an Air 3 after 3.5 year. Of course, this year is the first year that there is no 9.7" iPad. The Air 2 is still a fast and powerful tablet, but I will not buy 2014's A8X in 2015 with the A9 and A9X already out.

I got burned too bad by my iPad 3. I don't want any features taken from me. When I upgrade, it will be because Apple announced an iPad Air 3 with an A9/A10 series chip. I'd love Apple Pencil and 3D touch capability, but I suppose these features will have to trickle down from the Pro.

15. newellj macrumors 603

Obviously I don't know, but it would be very much like Apple to never trickle the stylus down to the 9.7" iPad. Waiting for 3D Touch probably means hanging on for another year at this point.

16. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

buy it if you want to buy it...you can't keep waiting of tech to come out. Not when the next air won't be out until next year

17. bmat macrumors 6502

I think they had to update the mini in order to be split screen compatible. Otherwise, it might not have been updated. Since the air 2 already meets the requirements, it probably wasn't as necessary. Since the air 2 runs all the things OS9 offers, they probably don't need to update again until next year.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted an update--I have a mini 2 and wanted a bigger ipad, but I hate buying year old tech.

18. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Part of me feels that way too and I utterly hate it. How long have iPad users begged for precision input when the largest iPad was 9.7"?

19. newellj macrumors 603

If the Air 2 is "year old tech," where does that leave the Mini 4, which doesn't even equal the Air 2's SoC and is way behind in graphics?

20. Liquinn Suspended

It's now on yellow "caution"... is it safe to buy or should I wait?

21. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

I hear you, but even though the A8X was released almost a year ago, it was more powerful then any iPad or tablet ever had, it was even more powerful then Apple promoted (I wouldn't be surprised if the rumors of it being extremely similar/powerful as the A9 and just a few points off on geek bench.)
    If I can though... I myself will wait until October too; on the very off chance Apple does something. If not though, I really, really like the Air 2 as it has super solid features, power, design, and construction. Part of me is actually worried that the Air 3 could turn out to be a scenario like the original 3 was to the iPad 2 (heavier, less efficient, and problems galore, especially if they added features like 3D touch and haptic feedback, look at the thicker more clunky iPhone 6s) I am in the mind set of: "if it ain't broke, or even remotely needing , don't touch it... Unless the update is 100% problem free." (Also not thicker or heavier.) lol
    I'm sure my worries will be unfounded but still, it has taken a long time for me to find the perfect iPad and the Air 2 is that. Doesn't mean I don't want to see an update, but it had better be good, and a step forward... not back. ;)

Kal.

22. Liquinn Suspended

I think I'll get a 128GB iPad air - besides... maybe they're always going to keep the iPad air behind the Pro in terms of the processor. I guess we'll see. ^^ I do agree with the previous poster, though.

23. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Is it my post the one you're talking about? If so, thanks, also I'm inclined to agree, Apple most likely will not have the Air ever be the same chip as the Pro. I think the only way for that was if it was clocked a bit lower IMO. It would have been better if apple gave the Pro an A10X and the Air an A9X.

Kal.

24. Liquinn Suspended

Yes, your post is the one I'm talking about. I wonder when Apple will update the iPad air next - my iPad 1 and iPad 4 are pretty old now so the Air 2 will be a good upgrade.

25. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Technically it shouldn't be seen as old tech when it's still the latest up to date ipad air