Why don't I have sufficient privileges?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Surely, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Surely Guest

Surely

This isn't the first time this has happened, but this time I thought I'd ask about it.

I downloaded a newer version of Handbrake, and when I tried to drag and drop the new version into my Applications folder, it asks me if I want to replace my older version (which is normal), I click 'replace', but then the warning below pops up.

What I've done in the past to work around this problem is I've trashed the older version and then dragged the newer version into my Apps folder.

Is there any way to stop this from happening?

I'm using a MacBook with OSX 10.5.3.

Thanks. See below for the screenshot.

Attached Files:

2. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I have also had the same thing happen to me a few times. I subscribed to this thread hoping to find an answer

3. arvidtp macrumors newbie

arvidtp

try trashing the old app first. If it ask you for a password, give it, then drag the new one in.

If this happens again, check that the permissions are set correctly using get info. If not, get info on your apps folder and set permissions correctly, then using the sprocket popup menu, apply to all contents (or whatever it says). This will take several minutes for your apps folder - there are a lot of files there!

If that still does not work, you may be having a problem with ACLs (new in 10.4 or 10.5) and may want to give your apps folder a treatment with ACL Fix:
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26864/acl-fix
    I did that and it seemed to cure such errors.