Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
A lot of tags activate/deactivate system functions that Apple doesn't allow 3rd party app access too. You'll usually get a prompt that leads to the settings menu. This is for security and privacy reasons.

So all those are out right out of the gate.

Than you have Apples app sandboxing (also for security and privacy) that will hinder performance of other functions.

While it could be useful it's probably not worth the risk of implementing. Since we don't have it we won't miss it. Android switchers might though but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Reactions: spac3duck

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.
interesting. I don't know how it would be dangerous because I don't build apps or anything. Just s general question. I would like to be able to walk through my door tap my phone on s little device and not even think of WiFi on lights on bluetooth off etc etc

Reactions: Demo Kit

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
interesting. I don't know how it would be dangerous because I don't build apps or anything. Just s general question. I would like to be able to walk through my door tap my phone on s little device and not even think of WiFi on lights on bluetooth off etc etc

There is just a whole line of extra security measures that would need to be implemented. Say for example, you have it setup to connect to wifi via a tag, walk into Starbucks and set your phone on the counter that has a tag disguised near it (somehow) and it connects to an ad hoc wifi or some other wifi that is actually a man in the middle attack. Just for example basing off what you said.

Now there is a lot that can be done to prevent that, like a prompt or something but in then you're back to manually doing stuff.

Plus it should be connecting to the proper wifi without any user interaction. Which is the most secure AND easiest solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.