Why don't MBP's come with 1TB+ drives?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johneaston, May 16, 2011.

1. johneaston macrumors regular

I ordered a Western Digital 1TB portable drive on Amazon and it arrived today. I wasn't expecting it to be as tiny as it is - not a lot bigger than my iPhone. And it holds a terrabyte!

Obviously I don't know what the insides of my 15" MBP look like, but I can't believe that this 1TB drive wouldn't be able to fit in there. Lose the CD drive I've used about three times in two years and you'd be able to get 2TB in there.

So why is 500GB still the maximum?

2. mikerr macrumors regular

Apple is always behind the leading edge in standard components like HDDs,
    one of their profit margins.

3. johneaston thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe that explains why my new drive has USB 3 and my Mac doesn't. 9hrs to transfer 600GB. Oh well...

4. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

I bought a 1TB Toshiba hdd for my MacBook Pro as I was running out of space. The one supplied was a 320Gb drive but the new ones come with 500 & 750Gb drives.
    Dead easy to replace though.

Cheers, Macjim.

5. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

PS. Hope you ordered a 2.5 inch drive as a 3.5 won't fit.

Cheers, Macjim.

6. mikerr macrumors regular

Yes, I miss eSATA on my MBP

With the new MBPs having thunderbolt, I imagine we'll all end up with thunderbolt->usb3 dongles in our laptop bags...

7. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Why not just use thunderbolt? Hardly any USB3 devices have reached the market where i live so i can easily see USB3 becoming a nice standard like firewire. Except in the argument USB3 would be better then Thunderbolt which it isn't. Just wait by the time there are Thunderbolt --> USB3, USB will be lagging behind.

8. mikerr macrumors regular

LOL USB3 pendrives and hard drives are already common even in the backwater we call the UK.... ;)

9. macDelirium macrumors member

Should have looked into a Thunderbolt / Firewire equipped drive.

Better luck choosing an external hard drive next time.

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

I believe a lot of the 1TB drives out there don't physically fit inside a Macbook Pro because of the thin case.

11. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Does it have to exist for us to use it? By the time thunderbolt powered devices reach affordable prices you will have probably upgraded your MBP.

USB 3 is here an now, nearly every manafacturer makes a USB 3 powered HD etc, I htink Lacie has annouced a Thunderbolt drive.... I would not but a lacie as they are $$$$ let alone a thunderbolt powered one that should be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

12. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

I don't live in the UK. I have never seen a USB3 Pen drive. My local tech store has a few new drives in the high end range that have USB 3. My point is dont think because you have USB3 in the UK/America that it has been as successful in other locations. Funning thing is i live in a city of more then 200,000 and one of the more major capitals in Australia where i live, there is not one shop that sells a computer equipped with USB 3 ports.

13. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

That was my point for many it isn't here and now. Your assumption about thunderbolt is also incorrect, Lacie hard drives are quality therefore cost money, that doesn't mean that Thunderbolt will be more expensive then USB. Actually as the facts stand it could easily be cheaper, being royalty free and made of copper.

14. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, most do. The 7200 RPM ones I've seen don't, they're 15mm high, but the WD Blue series at least is 12.5mm, which fits fine in the unibody designs.

jW

15. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

All currently available 1TB drives are 12.5mm thick but they would still fit.

A question that is bugging me for some time now is this. Hitachi offers (since december 2010) a 500GB 2.5" platter, which they only use in a 1 platter 7mm drive as of now. Why? They could build a 1.5TB 2.5" drive with it or 9.5mm 1TB

16. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

750 GB is the maximum you can order directly from Apple. 1TB drives are available from third-party stores, as others have stated.

17. ViviUO macrumors 6502

Anything under an SSD as standard in a $2200 machine is a joke. Period.

It's like buying a Corvette with a Cavalier transmission.