Why don't notes sync?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by email68, Jan 28, 2008.

1. email68 macrumors regular

Just got a new iPhone and I'm a little confused why the notes are not syncing with notes in Mail.

Is there any work around or 3rd party app?

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

Short answer... there is no Notes support... Yet.
    If you have IMAP or POP access enabled on your Notes servers, you can access it that way. But it will be very limited in functionality.

3. email68 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

I'm sure they'll add that soon. Kind of a big oversight...

4. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

I don't think it would be too hard to write an app to automatically transfer notes. Notes on the iPhone use SQLite (as do many native apple iphone apps) and the notes on the Mac don't use anything too complicated either.

Unfortunately I'm not much of a programmer, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard.

There's an iPhone disk utility out there that allows you to view and edit notes from your Mac although the name eludes me.

5. Rxiesling macrumors newbie

I bought Missing Sync for iPhone from Mark/Space without reading the fine print carefully. I thought it would "sync" notes bi-directionally. The software actually only transfers notes on iPhone to Mac, but it does a good job.
    Later on, I realized that this may not happen very soon even with 3rd party software. The difficulty of transferring notes on Mac to iPhone may be due to the fact that they are really different things. Mac Mail notes takes rich-text contents such as graphics etc. But iPhone notes are only plain text.
    The software is expensive though ($40).

6. projectle macrumors 6502

Um... what is so difficult about converting from Rich Text to Plain Text? Sure you loose your pretty fonts, but really...

I know of no one that actually uses fonts or anything in their Mail.app notes.