Why don't they just put two buttons on the trackpad for right click?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by boonlar, Jan 23, 2009.

1. boonlar macrumors 6502

Surely it would be easier and more efficient when using other operating sytems. Why does apple only include 1 button on macbooks?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Because it's easier to just touch it with two fingers than to move your hand down.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Because it is their style. Two-finger click feels much more natural anyway since you don't have to contort your thumb under your hand.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Have you seen the new trackpads? There are no "buttons". However, there is an option that allows you to click in the bottom-right area of the trackpad and have that register as a "right-click". Pretty much the same thing as having two buttons.

5. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

Nobody moves their hand down you just move your thumb a few millimeters and tap right click. Or maybe just on my laptops I've owned lol.

Also do macbooks have a piece of the trackpad reserved for scrolling on webpages? Mine has a small part of the ride side for scrolling and I find it really convenient.

It seems to me that apple hates the idea of two mouse buttons:p

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why move at ALL when you can just use two fingers?

The entire trackpad functions as a "scroll area" ("scroll area" is the most IDIOTIC idea ever. You can't get used to that stupid strip coming from a whole trackpad of use).

Ever used an iPhone or iPod touch? It's exactly the same, including the pinch to zoom and swiping stuff.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You're right, they do.

8. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know I love the scrolling strip. I scroll with my middle finger and move the cursor with my index finger. Seems to work very well when browsing. I wish there was more buttons though so I could map it to forward/back like I do with my 7 button desktop mouse lol:D

9. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

For function, it's much easier on your thumb/finger than clicking the button, and for design, one button (now none at all) looks way better than all the clunk and clutter of two buttons, a scroll area to move pages up and down...