Why dont they let everyone test beta's?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ErnesP, Jun 8, 2011.

1. ErnesP macrumors newbie

I dont really get the logic of just letting developers test beta's.

I totally understand that developers need access to the beta to make sure their app's work, and can develop new features etc...

But why not let everyone who is interested test as well? Surely the more people testing the better right?

And yeah im just peeved i cant put iOS5 on my phone right now ;)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not letting the developers beta test as much as giving the developers access to the beta so they can update their apps.

3. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Because there would be no incentive for developers to pay $99 a year for access to new software.

That, and there would be a ton of support calls & forum posts that Apple has to deal with from people who have no business using beta software complaining about things not working.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Anyone can test the beta. The cost for this is $99.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think apple provides more services for developers that make the 99 dollars worth while, not just access to the beta ;)

6. vultureboy macrumors member

vultureboy

Because, as developers we know that things can go wrong in software and we're quite happy to risk a piece of Kit just to check that your apps will be ready and working with iOS5 on release day.

What we won't do is put iOS5 on our main device and then complain and take valuable time away from Apple's support staff and 'Genius' in store staff because we just wanted to play asap! ;)

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

A dev usually understands what a beta is, most average people (including, apparently, hundreds on MR) can't make that distinction and expect it to behave like a GM. It would be bad for both end users and Apple to function in this way.

8. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Maybe because they don't want to answer the millions of phone calls they would get. The software isn't ready. It's Beta!!! :eek:

9. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Well they could just do it like any other company that releases beta software does: Have a huge disclaimer stating it is unsupported and only a preview for advanced users. A lot of us that are not iOS developers do enjoy testing unreleased software and can understand the risks and issues one encounters with beta software, not only developers.

10. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

You can, just pay the $99.

Imagine all the emails and phone calls Apple would get, let alone bad press, from the people who would download, and not realize it is software still under development.

If you really want iOS5, just pay the $99 and quit whining, but understand it is an unfinished product.

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

the beta is not so much a way to test the iOS features and functions, its more an opportunity for the app developers to test their apps to make sure they still work on the new iOS