Why don't they make USB pluggable on both sides?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Silverlink, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Silverlink macrumors member

Why don’t make a cable that you can plug in either way? I swear 85% of times I insert a USB device, I choose the wrong side of the plug and have to flip it round. I haven’t calculated the wasted time spent doing this over a lifetime, but I bet it’s at least 3 minutes. :rolleyes:

How come they don’t make one that is universally accepted whichever side you try to insert?

6 billion usb devices, 2 seconds lost choosing wrong side by 50% of users = 190 man years

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For the same reason most plugs have a particular orientation. Look at display connectors, electrical connectors, etc. It happens to all of us. You'll spend more time posting here than you will just turning it the other way.

3. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I think most USB peripherals have the USB logo on one side of the connector. Usually, it's on the same "side" for all connectors. Therefore, I just remember the orientation of that logo for each USB port. For example, on my MacBook Pro, USB devices always connect with the USB logo facing "up", so I never have to go through this thought process. Is this at all helpful?

4. Silverlink thread starter macrumors member

'If I could turn back time' ♫