Why don't they offer MBA with 3G like ipad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dloreski, Feb 3, 2012.

1. dloreski macrumors member

Just out of curiosity..............
    The one thing that keeps me using my ipad on the road is that I can activate my 3G for the months that I need it and then turn it off when I don't.
    What's the reason you can't get a MBA with that built in and the same type of plan?
    Maybe I'm not the norm, but it's very convenient and practical for me that way.

2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I don't know, but why just the MBA? If the MBA had it why wouldn't all laptops?

That would be nice as ****!

But right now I have a 4G Mobile Broadband which gives me speeds around 30-40mbps if I'm not out in the woods.

3. nexsta macrumors 6502

Probably because under 50% percent or less would use it. We all know they try to keep the price as low as possible without having any loss in quality. So it would mean that they would have to raise production costs just to satisfy the minority that cares about it. The resolution would be to offer two versions like with the iPad, but probably they think that the demand for the 3G version would be to low to produce two versions. I wish it will happen in the future.

4. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Because even if it had 3G, I still would use tethering. In my case (and many other people), tethering is free on our plans, extra devices aren't.

Also, not including 3G means reduced SKUs, and the carriers usually offer the 3G modems for free for those people who don't have tethering capable phones.

I find the current arrangement the best, that way Apple can keep prices down by not including worthless (for me) 3G hardware.

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Sadly the telecom companies have all gotten together and decided that mobile data needs to be SLOW and cost a premium!

The best company, Verizon, offers a 4G mobile hotspot, and it runs about $80 a month for 5GB data!!! I could tear that up in a day between Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. Mobile data needs to change if it ever wants to catch on. Also, radios in computer devices is a bad idea. For one, it restricts the service provider to whomever the device maker likes (or you have to buy the flavor you want at the moment and stick with it for the life of the device). Also, say you got a 3G verizon MBA...well it's already out of date since they have 4G hotspots....then in 3 years when 4G is standard you will have to buy a new computer to keep up with the internet.

Wireless hotspots will be the way to go....once the greedy bastards get the pricing in check!

6. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

then what carrier would apple use? verizon? ATT? sprint? Tmo? Bell?....

the list goes on and on.

7. glen e macrumors 68030

????

the same carriers the ipad uses......

I think it's more to keep the ipad/mba from cross pollinating each other...sales wise

In two years of having ipad 3G I have gone over the 15$ monthly fee and then it was $25....very reasonable...when I am on hiatus from traveling during the winter months, I shut the service off and I pay Zero.

THERE IS NO GOOD REASON WHY THE MBA DOES NOT HAVE 3G....

8. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Was that a joke? Apple wouldn't make billions every quarter if their products weren't overpriced as *****.

I buy them though because I like them and I can afford to spend money on products that aren't really worth what they cost.

9. eric/ Guest

eric/

Going over the monthly data limit resulting in paying for almost two months of service is reasonable? Seriously?

10. glen e macrumors 68030

IN TWO YEARS?

Get a grip - I don't care about 10 bucks in two years...it's just a 2nd tier...

11. oliversl macrumors 65816

Because not all US Carriers use the same 3G band/chip. It is easy to use a MiFi
    device.

12. nexsta macrumors 6502

just show me a product like the macbook air with the same build quality and tech specs at a similar price.

13. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I don't know if there are any, that doesn't mean that they aren't overpriced.

Why do you get so offended? Did I hurt your feelings? Are you in love with Apple?

14. bill-p macrumors 65816

Because to use 3G, Apple has to install a separate processor to handle connectivity, since 3G is a constant and always-on connection (it wouldn't go off even if you sleep your computer). Aside from cost factors mentioned, it would mean that they have to modify some major parts of OSX regarding connectivity so that 3G won't fight with WIFI and vice versa. It would eat into battery life, cause performance slow-downs, and other unpleasant things.

From another perspective, it's also because not a lot of carriers would be willing to offer data plans for laptops at lower pricing than what's available for smartphones and tablets. The reason is that laptops consume data at 10x to 100x the amount of smartphones and tablets. If suddenly all carriers experience 10x heavier load on their networks, it'll cause some insane breakdown. Even with phones as they are now (just emailing, tweeting, Facebook and updating widgets for the most part), they are already causing networks to black out intermittently.

Let's just say the major reason is that cellular network is not ready to experience a 10x heavier load when laptops connect to them.

15. eric/ Guest

eric/

The number of times you've done it isn't relevant. I'm discussing how the charge is ridiculous.

Use 1 kB over your data? Oh you owe us $25. Yeah I know you only pay $15 per month (which is a rip off in itself), but we're going to charge you for two months for going over.

16. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

As everyone stated, with wifi tethering on phones and those 3G to wifi devices (i.e. mifi) there really is no need to add 3G capabilities to a laptop. Besides, many computers will last a user upto 5 years, in that time the industry can shift (i.e. Edge to 3G to LTE) and could leave you with an outdated cellular connection. I would rather have my laptop be void of any cellular connection and leave it as an external device so I can change the connection technology it uses without having to change my whole laptop!

17. glen e macrumors 68030

There are still many occupy wall street goings on -I'm sure you can find one that will let you shout your displeasure from the rooftops...not me, I've got work to do...

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

Go over to Dell's site below and build yourself a 3G laptop:
    http://www.dell.com/us/p/d/campaigns/4g-3g-mobile-broadband-laptops

You have to add $125 to the price of the laptop.
    Want AT&T, Sprint or Verizon service? You have to sign a 2-year contract. You can't turn off the service during the months you won't be using it. There's a $175 early-termination fee if you cancel your contract before the two years is up. Monthly plans *start* at $50/month.

It seems like you think tablet data is treated the same as laptop data. It's not. Pretty much everything you listed that you LIKE about your tablet data doesn't apply to laptop data.

19. eric/ Guest

eric/

Oh look at me I'm a big ole important businessman and I've got an iPad with 3G and I don't care if I'm being ripped off with my data plan. Hurrr durrr.

And how exactly is data plans being an extreme rip-off related to Occupy Wall Street?

20. darkheroz macrumors member

Here, in Bulgaria, I pay 3$ per month, unlimited 3G access. 1st 500mb are at max speed, after than at GPRS speed. It's enough for basic needs. With MBA I use free 3G USB modem from operator, but in some cases internal 3G of my old IPAD2 is missing :(

21. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

They could do what they do with the iPad, where there is a 3G model that costs more. That way everyone's happy :)

IMO mobile internet is far to expensive anyway... :(

----------

I envy you!

22. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I think you will see an MBA with cellular connectivity in the next few years, and it will be in the MBA first because that's the go-to Mac for road warriors.

In the interim, why don't you get a dongle?

23. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I heard that Apple is working on some type of global or national wifi thing. Sorry I have no details. I suck at explaining things.