Why don't we have a notification for disconnection???

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ZoeLou, Jul 22, 2015.

1. ZoeLou macrumors member

This baffles me, why is there no notification on the watch when you lose bluetooth connection with the phone? The Pebble does it, it would be very helpful when you leave your phone behind!

2. gadgetjunkie1 macrumors newbie

gadgetjunkie1

There is one...little red phone with a line through it
    [​IMG]

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

There is a notification on the screen but it doesn't alert you.

Having one doesn't help anyway because if you're careless enough to leave it behind for even a second, it's susceptible to getting stolen and by then it'd be too late.

4. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

5. ZoeLou thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I get the icon that comes up, but there's no haptic or sound, which would be really helpful! I'm surprised it wasn't included in watchOS 2

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What? I sometimes leave my phone behind at home or office, and there's no one there to steal it. It'd be really useful if the watch alerted me if I forgot my phone.

7. aloecool macrumors regular

I have the same problem! Would love if the alert becomes a feature in os2

8. zhaoxin macrumors regular

I think that is because losing bluetooth does not entirely equally to you phone is too far away. When I am home, sometimes the watch is losing my iPhone if I put my iPhone in my bedroom and I am in the living room.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It'd still be useful to be alerted when the connection is lost. You could be missing notifications because you don't realize your watch is disconnected from the phone.

10. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

I thought I read that this will be addressed in 2.0, is there anyone running a beta version that can confirm?

11. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The Pebble watch only connects via Bluetooth so it's easy to buzz you if it loses connection.

The Apple watch uses both Bluetooth and WiFi.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204562

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't really consider it a good substitute for being aware of where your iPhone is at all times and it goes against my golden rule (if it's not in your pocket/on the charging stand, it's in your hand/on the wrist and vice versa). Before you know it, you'll have left it in the bathroom of an amusement park and it's long gone/stolen by the time your watch notifies you, even with an alert.

14. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

There are many reasons as to why your post doesn't make sense, but let's just assume you are correct and that by the time you get the alert your phone is stolen and in the hands of a terrible person. An alert could still notify you that your phone is stolen so you could take the necessary steps to use Find My iPhone to either locate the device or wipe personal data from it. No matter how you look at it, a notification would be a good thing.

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I agree with Jay. features of a product should be complimentary but not replace human responsibility.

A co worker of mine was complaining to me how he has to spend $25.00 a year to replace this bluetooth dongle that helps him locate his keys from his smart phone. I told him "how about you always put your keys in the same place instead so you don't lose them to begin with?"

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

My point is one could become too lax if you rely on the Watch too much (or become used to it) and it's better to prevent it from happening in the first place if you're more conscious of your iPhone whereabout. It's an example of "risk homeostasis."

17. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

This was something that bothered me coming from the Garmin Vivosmart. I've never lost my phone but it does sometimes slip out of my pocket in my car/get forgotten at home when I'm running out for work. It's great getting that buzz on my wrist letting me know the bluetooth connection was lost.

Another vote for a disconnect notification here.

18. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

This strategy probably works very well for recluses and hermits, but for other people that actually go to other places on occasion, that isn't possible.

19. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

It would be helpful when I'm out working in the yard. Sometimes it loses connection and I don't realize it and I end up missing a lot of texts or phone calls. It usually helps if I set my phone near the back of the house. I don't get why my watch doesn't pick up on my Airport Extreme AC signal to connect to my phone. The range on that router is so crazy I can go several hundred yards down the street before losing WiFi on my phone. Not sure why Watch can't pick it up in my backyard which isn't that big. Do I need to configure anything to make it work better?

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So being conscious of your iPhone's whereabouts isn't possible unless you're a recluse or hermit?

21. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Putting your phone (or keys in his example) in the "same place" is not possible if you go somewhere else.

Being conscious of your phone's whereabouts is great. However it's not realistic to think that everyone will be capable of NEVER misplacing or forgetting to pick up their phone. It's a cool ideal though.

This is why we have apps to help you find where you parked, or to remember what you need to pick up from the grocery store. You could simply "be conscious" of those things too, but it doesn't hurt to have a technological reminder of such things.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's most certainly possible. I follow this golden rule: If it's not in your hand, it's in your pocket and if it's not in your pocket, it's in your hand.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I agree with this rule when you are out and about. But when I'm at home, I often don't have any pockets to put my phone in, and wearing a pouch around the house just so I know where the phone is is just stupid. You say an alert when the phone is disconnected from the watch isn't useful. But you are just thinking of what happens when you are out and about with the phone. You aren't considering use cases where we are relaxing in our home, and don't want to vigorously track where our phone is at all times.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But it shouldn't be difficult to make the watch give us an heads-up when both wifi and Bluetooth disconnects. After all, the watch currently displays a disconnected icon when it loses connection with the phone. All I'm asking for is that the watch beep/tap/vibrate instead of just silently displaying that icon.

25. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

OP is asking for a reminder/alert type tap to indicate that he has left his phone behind. This works fine if the Apple watch only supported Bluetooth because right around 25 feet or so you'd get a tap to go back to get your phone.

If the watch wi
    Many of us tap our front and back pockets as a habit before we leave a location to "check" for keys, phone, wallet etc.

Heck, I've never lost any of the items above because of that.