Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Why is it that Siri can't take voicemail messages? Seems kind of like a no brainer don't you think?

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Yeah, that's what a beta is.

Sorry I disagree. You do not show case a software as the key selling point of your device or os as beta and then continue to show case it as the greatest thing out there and hide behind the beta excuse when it fails to work or meet consumer expectations.

Beta is fine for teething and fine tuning, even public betas, but two years? Ha ha beta is just an excuse by Apple for not getting it right. They have a history of calling things beta.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I keep saying this but people don't seem to believe it:

SIRI WILL NEVER GET OUT OF BETA BECAUSE IT IS A CONSTANTLY UPDATING SERVICE.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Voicemails should just be transcribed to text and transferred to the messages app

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Voicemails should just be transcribed to text and transferred to the messages app

I'd like that. I don't get voicemails often, but I do hate listening to them. If I don't answer, just call me back at another time or text me.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America

While that would be nice I don't think voice recognition is that advanced yet. At least not advanced to be trusted. I have customers that call me and leave voicemails, sometimes I have a hard time understanding them. Haha. Much less a piece of software trying to convert them to text.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
While that would be nice I don't think voice recognition is that advanced yet. At least not advanced to be trusted. I have customers that call me and leave voicemails, sometimes I have a hard time understanding them. Haha. Much less a piece of software trying to convert them to text.

Google Voice transcribes voicemails to text...annnd the results are usually pretty entertaining. While it's usually not too hard to figure out the errors, it's by no means efficient.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Why is it that Siri can't take voicemail messages? Seems kind of like a no brainer don't you think?
Nope. VM isn't a phone feature. It's a carrier (or other VM provider) feature.

Sorry I disagree. You do not show case a software as the key selling point of your device or os as beta and then continue to show case it as the greatest thing out there and hide behind the beta excuse when it fails to work or meet consumer expectations.

Beta is fine for teething and fine tuning, even public betas, but two years? Ha ha beta is just an excuse by Apple for not getting it right. They have a history of calling things beta.
You can disagree all you want but it's not unique to Apple. Take a look at Google. If you disagree with companies that do this then don't use their products.

I keep saying this but people don't seem to believe it:

SIRI WILL NEVER GET OUT OF BETA BECAUSE IT IS A CONSTANTLY UPDATING SERVICE.
That's because it's flawed reasoning. There are plenty of "constantly updating services" that aren't in perpetual beta.

Google Voice transcribes voicemails to text...annnd the results are usually pretty entertaining. While it's usually not too hard to figure out the errors, it's by no means efficient.
It's efficient for me. I rarely have to listen to my GV VM's. It's not necessarily accurate but that depends a lot on the caller.

Last edited:

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK

I think you're getting confused between Apple and Google here...

Siri was the only thing in recent history to be a public beta by Apple, and a damn good one at that. Until then, Apple had a no-beta rule.

Lets have a look at other companies shall we? You stated above in not so many words that 2 years is an unacceptable time for a beta, yes? You also stated that "beta is an excuse by Apple for not getting it right". So, how about Google Mail - the lowly webmail provider which started as an invitiation only beta in 2004, public beta in 2007 and finally came out of beta in 2009. I make that FIVE YEARS. But Google Search, that was another one that wasn't released to the public until it was finished. Wasn't it? Set up in 1997, as a beta, Google Search came out of beta in 1999. They were the only two high profile public betas though weren't they? Wrong! Google Apps - set up in 2006, came out of beta in 2009....

Need I go on?

Stop trolling.

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Its been beta for almost two years now. That is a lame excuse. Beta is Apples code word for "we cannot get it to work right".

How long was Gmail was in beta? Lets see 2004-2009

Whoopsie didn't see dontpannics response. I'm still in beta as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.