Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
I do some gaming on my MacBook Pro, I even picked up both Homeworld 2 and Civ IV recently, but being on a mobile machine, I don't want to carry each and every CD with me, so I rarely play any games on it when I am not at home - that's what my PSP is for.

Things might change once I get myself a shiny Mac Pro, though... ;) (the iMac is blocked by my wife most of the time)

rumbletum

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
Wolverhampton, UK
I don't like computer games at all. I find no purpose and no sense of enjoyment in them whatsoever -- to me they are boring and a waste of time. I'd rather be out walking the dog, jogging, or spending time taking my small son to the playground. Computer games just don't compare to visceral real world experiences to me.

Yet you'll spend your time reading a forum devoted to games? :confused: :D

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
Forest Hills, NY
really, i like to see the progress of games than actually playing them. i just don't have the time anymore to sit down and actually play games like oblivion. however, i do love watching people play them for short increments simply because games are becoming more like moving works of art.

mahashel

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2005
"the lab"
I agree with the poster (skinnylegs, I think) who mentioned a different "feel" when gaming on a PC versus a Mac. While I'm not sure I can clearly state what the difference in "feel" might be, I can say that my PCs tend to be far more responsive while gaming than my Macs. Granted, neither platform is state-of-the-art in my house due to financial restrictions, but it seems like the PCs are quicker at 3D clock-for-clock. Maybe it's OSX's multitasking nature getting in the way, maybe it's OpenGL vs. DirectX, or maybe it's some low-level architectural quirk. Regardless, my PCs are the gaming systems and the Macs are productivity systems. Both run great for what I need them to do.

the PC: 800MHz AMD Duron, GeForce2GT, 512MB RAM, XP
the Mac: 733MHz G4 PowerMac, Geforce2GT, 756MB RAM, OS 10.3
PC was more responsive on Halo, WOW, AoE2, & SW Battlegrounds, which are all of the Mac games I tried before diverting my gaming budget to the PC side. (I've since built faster game systems)

Aside: has anyone tried running games natively in Linux? (not under Wine or other emulation). I've heard a couple games (EVE & ?) can be built and run on Linux. Reason being, I'd love to continue building speedy gaming PCs, but find some way to dump Windows for obvious reasons. (might take us back to OGL vs D3D again. ha)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Me too. I only really like console games. I've even moved to not really using the TV for games -- since I moved to Florida, I haven't bought a TV-based console, and I've just played GBA and DS Lite games. Very happily, I might add. More my style. :) I don't miss the lack of games on my Macs at all. Once or twice I did play GBA games by emulator on my Macs, and occasionally, occasionally, other games, but I'm very satisfied with that balance. :)

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I only play WoW, sometimes Diablo 2. WoW alone leaves me with little time for other games :)

Outside of those two games I do the rest of my gaming on my 360 or DS. Computers games haven't been too impressive in recent years, and the offering on console systems appeals much more to me.

eldino

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2007
Italy
I played for years Age of Empires II on my PCs. Since 1 year I play it on my iBook G4 1,33 12'. I think I will never be tired of this game =)

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
In my house Mac's are for photography, movies, music and the occasional spreadsheet - as well as everyday tasks like web browsing and email. We game on the PS3.

Jessy

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2006
NE Ohio
Because I'm still learning Unity, and I hate all the other games on the Mac. The only ones I like are Ghost Master and RealMyst, and they're not supported any more.

I'll make you guys a good game soon.

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
1. Too little time, lots of work going on. Photo editing, design work, etc.

2. Thats what consoles are for. I don't need to live on my computer 16 hours a day, even though I am close to that already.

3. My Wii keeps me active, whereas I'd be sitting down and just moving a mouse and punching keys.

Other than that I just enjoy keeping work and play separate.

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
A few reasons.

Comfort: I have a big easy chair in front of my HDTV so playing games there is much more comfortable on my XBox360 than being hunched over in a chair at my desk.

I don't have to upgrade my Xbox360 everytime a new, better game comes out.

No Gears of War or Halo 3 coming to Mac.

Amen. If only :apple: made a console to counter the 360 :rolleyes:

paddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2005
TN
Because of the GMA950 :mad:. I know, I know, the MB isn't for gaming but it's so frustrating that it meets the minimum spec for even Crysis in everything 'cept the GFX, not that I ever expected a MB to be able to run games like that but ya know....

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
no time.

simple as that.

BUT, with the recent announcement from EA regarding mac games like C&C3 and madden 08, i must <sigh> make some time for them ;)

booksacool1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
Australia
I don't play a lot of games on my mac because I play them on PC.
I *could* play them on the mac, at lower resolution with lower FPS etc. But why would I if the pc can run rings around the mac (in games at least).

Unfortunately apple needs to improve OSX's gaming credentials. Then I'll be back.

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
Because my video card is teh suck and I'm stuck looking for an AGP replacement. I love ATI's pricing mechanism for mac cards.

1) sell
2) sell
3) just when you might have to drop the price...
4) discontinue <- this is when I realize I should have bought at step 2.

oh x800 how you taunt me!

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
I understand that everyone has some sort of time wasters they do to piddle on the computer. I just never got hooked on games of any sort. It's not my thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.