Why download firmware I already have?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by blackdove, Jan 23, 2010.

1. blackdove macrumors newbie

I have gone through a number of iPod Touches, and every time I get the same thing happen. When I already have a firmware downloaded on the old one, and I tell iTunes to upgrade the new one's firmware to the latest (same) version, it downloads the whole bloody thing again! Why can't it just use the one it already wasted an hour and ten downloading before?

:confused: :mad: :eek:

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

go look on youtube for free updating firmwares :D

3. P Mentior macrumors regular

Are these multiple touches of the same generation. I believe that the different generations require different firmware versions.

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

say you have a 1g ipod touch running 3.1.2, the ipod that has no volume buttons. u just got a new 3g ipod touch that has speakers and volume buttons. your ipod 3g came with 3.1.1, and you want to update, but ur 1g ipod already has upgraded to 3.1.2. now the one for your old ipod, doesnt need the drivers for the volume buttons and speakers, because it has none. apple figures there is no need to waste space on a device that doesnt have the features in the first place. so they take out those drivers to save memory. so on your ipod touch 3g, it does have speakers and volume buttons. so therefore it does need the drivers. so now you have to download the ipsw again. do you see where im going with this?

5. Mr.Goodbar macrumors member

Mr.Goodbar

im going to have to agree with both of the people above of me there are very different versions of firmware for each generation because of the hardware differences just like the ipod touch 4th gen that's supposed to be coming out in sept will have a camera so it will also require a different of firmware