Why Evernote?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ma1nstr3am, Jul 28, 2013.

1. ma1nstr3am macrumors member

I use Apple iOS Notes, Voice Memos, DropBox, don't share media with anyone, why would I use EverNote? I really don't use notes or VoiceMemos anyway.

I'd like some guidance because if EverNote is "amazing" like everyone says it is, I'd like to find a reason to use it. I just downloaded it, opened it, saw the tutorial screenshots and went ??????????? I already have all of this.

2. Bear macrumors G3

Some people don't need Evernote. Remember just because an app is "fantastic" it doesn't necessarily mean it's something you will need or use.

3. ma1nstr3am thread starter macrumors member

Got it. What's the top reason people use EverNote? Especially the ones who already have an iPhone.

4. alertstocks macrumors newbie

the reason i pay for it is because of the voice recording feature which i use in business meetings. the compression and backup is better than other apps out there.

5. unfrostedpoptar macrumors regular

I have hundreds of notes, many with links and photos, for all kinds of personal projects and work and computer topics. Evernote (which I still have major issues with) lets me organize them all and easily and quickly search for anything and keep synced between Mac, iPhone, iPad, and web access.

I looked at using Pages or similar, but how can I search these? Also, Apple's iCloud doesn't allow any file sharing, so how could I share certain documents online for others to look at and/or edit? Evernote and Dropbox and others allow this.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you have to look for a reason, why bother?

I wouldn't want to be without Evernote
    I have all my work notes, meetings, plans, projects all in Evernote
    I have them on my work PC, iPhone, 2 iPads and my MBA always available and up to date

I clip things off the web and save them
    I jot down lists, thoughts, ideas

I keep all my QR barcode license keys for our work devices to scan right off my phone

It works for me
    Maybe you don't need it
    I wouldn't worry about finding a use for it
    I went looking for Evernote to fill the needs I had
    I didn't go looking for a use for Evernote

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Couldn't agree more with this and this is exactly what I do with it also. I have over 500 notes tagged and formatted to what works for me.

8. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I, too, heard amazing things about Evernote and thought I was missing out on something so I tried it out. So, unlike MacDawg, I did go looking for a use for Evernote. And you know what? I couldn't find one. I'm sure it's an excellent tool for people for whom it fills specific needs, but don't worry if that's not you.

9. aWretchLikeMe macrumors newbie

For me, I used it as a archive note tool.

I use it as a good spot for notes I would like to remember someday. Or Grandmas potato salad recipe. I dont want to clutter my Dropbox or Copy, so I use Evernote.

10. stooovie macrumors 6502a

Simple: full text search (even handwritten notes and photos). Try searching for a word on iPhone or a tablet with, say, Dropbox. You can't. Also, organizational tools like tags and notebooks. More flexible than rigid folder structure.