Why everyone hating the new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tmanto02, Oct 23, 2012.

1. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I think it looks great and the specs look decent!

What are your reasons?

Come over to the 13" rMBP threads and you will see some real reasons to be disappointed

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

3. dkersten macrumors 6502a

Because in a desktop there is no need to sacrifice functionality to make it thinner. And no I'm not talking about axing the optical drive

4. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

None, I like it ... the wait is a bit disappointing though !

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's mostly due to functionality concerns. Making something thin then dropping to a 5400 rpm hard drive is dumb, especially when users can't easily swap in an ssd. I'm referring to the 21.5" version. It's the cheaper one, and that is a major sticking point for such a machine. Thickness is something you should never perceive in a desktop display anyway. You look forward at the display when it's in use, and it's still using the same stand. It's not like you're gaining any kind of space. It doesn't open up new potential for placement within a work area or home. Then of course there are concerns over thermal levels. This is an area where Apple has made compromises in the past in the interest of thinner machines. That is something that has no place in stationary form factors. The density should really be a secondary concern after all other concerns are met. It's not like a notebook where you'd take it with you. Very few people would transport an imac.