Why exactly do you buy Apple computers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jpoon, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Jpoon macrumors 6502

I know there have been literally a million threads, websites, interviews, commercials, etc. about this question. But, I don't usually get honest, detailed reasons as to exactly why.

What I'm looking for are structured, well written and honest answers. I don't want something such as, "I like using OS X more than Windows." To me that really says, "I lived up to the advertising hype and bought a Mac." "I'm a switcher." (remember those days?)

I'm young, only nineteen years old. I go to the University of Memphis, in Tennessee. I'm Chinese American, born in Pasadena, CA. Raised in Tennessee around Memphis. I don't have a degree in anything, I'm not an expert in anything, and I'm not really using refined English that one would find in a newspaper article. Hopefully this is legible to a majority of people who read these forums.

The reason I first started using Apple computers is firstly because my elementary school had some sort of Macintosh computers back in the 90's. Probably some leftover Mac Classics from what I can remember. I didn't personally own one until I idolized my older cousin for a while, (specifically the past two years) and he's what you could call a proponent of Apple. He never really gives me specific reasons, but I just blindly agree with him. Right now, I only own a couple of older iPods since I sold my Macbook. I could definitely afford one (Mac Mini to mac pro), but what I have now is perfectly sufficient in my opinion. I have a self assembled PC, and a netbook for portability. I don't favor Windows, Linux distributions, or OS X. I've used all of them casually and like certain aspects of each. I suppose I'm at a point where the product doesn't fit with me. Granted, none of these operating systems are perfect, and I generally am fed up with all of them after certain events.

I'd like a bit of background on everyone, and then go into why you use Macintosh computers, and how they improve your overall computing experience on every front. Monetarily, socially, mentally... Please try to be as unbiased as possible. But, this is open to any criticism. I understand people are going to be people and say the same thing they usually do. I just want to start some intelligent conversation.

2. chuckcalo macrumors regular

You forget how Windows used to crash on you but then, it gets boring because your MAC doesn't crash at all. I'm a Windows user and been being for the last 14 years (I'm 20 now), I must say that Windows has more hardware to choose from (sound cards, gfx cards, games) so that's why I'm not going to ditch Windows anytime soon. But as far the OS X side goes, the interface, functionality, easyness of the system just amazed me. It only took me 1 day to figure out everything ranging from Terminal commands to the point of even installing and editing kexts. The Mac has never crashed on me, the only thing that has crashed is Safari because of the DivX but other than that it just keeps going and going and going... I think people fall in love with Macs because of their beautyness and awesomeness of the system. It's true, everything works. I used to think "Oh c'mon, why pay $400 more for a laptop with hardware that is just POOP", well now I understand I was going to pay for better battery life, better support, a really better operating system, a good-looking laptop, a really nice and comfy keyboard, etc. I won't leave Windows since that's where I play my games and still do web editing, but I have been in moments where I just like to stare at my Mac desktop and admire how beautiful it looks.

3. Jpoon thread starter macrumors 6502

So, like many others, you're choosing it just for the sheer beauty and design? No offense against that remark, but I do really try and convince myself that's why I'm intrigued by Apple on some occasions.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I bought my first Mac computer over 1.5 years ago because I heard that they were so much more reliable then Windows computers. I was wrong. Not only do they crash occasionally, but that spinning beach ball makes me sometimes want to throw my mouse through the monitor. I almost did last night.

Last night, I was trying to copy some TV shows between my iMac and Mac Pro using an ethernet cable. I've done it several times before. Half the time though, there is no connection between the two and I have no idea why. I end up rebooting the computers sometimes and that may or may not work, then suddenly out of nowhere, it will just work.

Compared to my two HP laptops running Vista, I would say OS X is about equal. They both freeze up once in a while but the hardware is no different at all.

5. martychang macrumors regular

Macs are commercial UNIX. It means I can run a logical, elegant UNIX system but still have ports of common non-free software & games. It has many shortcomings versus Linux, it fails to keep most if not all of it's open source components up to date, and Apple fails to provide security patches, but since it's UNIX we can get most things to compile, and there's little that can't be solved with a bit of patience.

Likewise, the NEXTSTEP configuration structure inherited by OS X is a bit more orderly than Linux and other UNIX systems.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I buy Apple because they're very nice machines. I've had laptops since 2001 and it took 2 models in 3 years before I decided to get a Powerbook. Which I stuck with for 4 years before it needed replacing.

Maybe I'm strange or maybe there are others like me but I love typing on a Mac. I've written dissertations, games, essays, pretty much everything on my PowerBook. Then I got an iMac to compliment it. Big mistake!

iMacs just don't have a good bang for buck. At least their laptops are built sturdy and have some tech that can push them ahead of the competition. But I'd rather get a beefy desktop PC next. I said years ago - OSX for laptop, XP for desktop and I should have stuck with that. :eek:

7. calculus Guest

calculus

It's really simple for me. They pretty much do what I want them to do in a trouble free way and look good while they're doing it.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

^ pretty much same here.

They do what I want them to (most times) and they're not too bad to look at. I prefer the OS and the way the apps work within. If I want windows torment I can still run it (VMware Fusion).

Simples! </meerkat>

9. bartelby macrumors Core

I've been using Apple computers for 20 years. Before I owned any I used the computers at the university my dad was a lecturer at. When it came round to buying a computer for uni it was the sensible choice as all the computers at the uni I went to were Macs.

The only way I'll ever buy a PC is if Apple Inc dies and my last running Mac dies.

10. Pixellated macrumors 65816

:D Don't you just love those Ads. For anyone confused about this: comparethemeerkat.com/

11. bartelby macrumors Core

I love the website!

I found this little guy:
    Picture 1.png

12. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I used Windows for 10 years or so. Through DOS, 3.1 up to XP. That's pretty much my reason, 10 years of abuse, neglect and frustration, and I caved. The cracking point was where I spent over 10 hours reinstalling windows and got a virus at the last step (windows update) before properly connecting to the internets. I downloaded a linux ISO (suse) and didn't look back.
    Then a couple of years later it's time to upgrade the hardware, I look around at my options, and decide to ditch it for a mac mini. The hardware was ok, the software really intrigued me though. All the advantages of linux (security, stability etc) and less of the headache (updates, maintenance etc).

13. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

I think I get more value for my money than with Windows, and even though the initial purchase is more expensive, freeware and shareware programs seem to be of much higher quality on OSX due to Apple embracing and encouraging bedroom and professional developers with Cooca and XCode.

14. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I use an Apple because every time I am called on to give tech support for family members' Windows boxes, my blood pressure rises. I need the ease of use OSX provides me.

Random sidenote: Back in October, I gave an artist lecture at the University of Memphis.

15. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I switched to macs because firstly, I was sick of Windows, and the mentality that Windows people have.

I told a friend I was switching macs, and he said "macs are sh*t, PCs are way better", so I said "well my PC has been crashing consistently since I bought it", his reply was, "well yeah, your PC is sh*t", contradiction? He's been pretty relentless that his PC smokes my Macs ever since. I never bought a computer to get 5 extra frames per second on Crysis, so it's never bothered me :p

Secondly, I switched because I need to for the line of work I want to get into, I'm studying to become an editor in TV/Film, and there are quite a few people on my course that refuse to learn Mac, because they say it's sh*t, it's baffling that they think they can have that mentality, and still expect to come out of the course with a job...

16. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i grew up on windows (well, the little computer time that i had - never had a computer of my own until i saved enough money to buy one myself - a compaq was my first)

and after spending almost $3000 on an alienware laptop, and having other pcs, i got tired of them crashing, reinstalling xp, and i just got tired of the interface.

so in 2005 i took the plunge and got a mac mini. it was just what the doctor ordered. i think i built one other pc after that, but the rest of my computers have been macs ever since. especially since now i can put windows or leopard on newer macs.

i do have xp, vista, and windows 7 installed on one of my macs. and i do like vista and windows 7 better than xp. and i use them sometimes, since i do get a little tired of leopard sometimes.

but i guess the main reason i like OS X so much is b/c of the ease of use, quality of machines, and less crashing and not really worrying about viruses. i do like how it manages apps and media.

17. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Because I can and want to, I want stability which Vista does not offer unless it is on Mac, I don't know why it works without crashing on Mac and not on a PC built for the OS, also I can afford to buy them.

Summary: Stability and the fact I can afford Apple goods.

18. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Same reason I buy PCs as well…

To earn a living.

19. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My first Apple computer was the iMac in my sig. I was looking to escape from Windows and wanted to give Mac a try. I liked it so much, I bought my MBP and don't plan on going back to Windows.

21. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

'cause they rock.

I would never voluntarily use Windows again. I left XP a couple years ago, was blown away with my experience on Macintosh machines, tried Win 7 just because and became highly aggravated with that also which reaffirmed my contempt for Windows.

That's why I buy Mac. But that's just me. Some people use both, some rant and rave about the wonders of Windows - every one has a different reason.

I will say I'd still own Macintosh systems even if they were ugly, but the size factor is also nice (Macs typically have a much, much smaller footprint). It's just a dang sweet perk that they looks snappy too. :)

22. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

So that I wouldn't be using audio software where the engine decided to drop itself. For the user interface and everything just working, and for the slim design of the iMac.

Not to mention the speed increase on iTunes, using Safari, and the entire iLife suite.

23. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Os X. You want a well written answer, but it doesn't get much simpler than that. In my mind an OS should be transparent to the user, and OS X stays out of my way more than any other general use OS that I use, such as Windows. It just works, and I like that.

24. remmy macrumors 6502a

Mostly because at college when studying graphic design they quite a few and got used to using the OS and programmes on the Macs. When it came to a new laptop after my last one disintegrated I didn't even look at other windows laptops and got myself a ibook which is still here today.

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Why exactly do you buy Apple computerS?

Curiosity.

This is my first one, so the "s" is redundant.