Why expecting big delay of Broadwell Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ToomeyND, Feb 19, 2014.

1. ToomeyND macrumors 6502

I get that Intel announced a delay, but they expect it to be released in 2H of this year. They have already started fabrication of the chips.

The air gets updated in the June-July time frame as it is. Why would we think that it would be delayed much past July? I'm willing to bet that Apple gets first pick at the new chips, so that means shipments of the chips should be starting now.

A 2H release means that they will have produced enough to offer up to everyone. Meaning the people with priority already have them. So why should we expect the Air to be pushed back?

If the answer is simply that 2H could mean October, then I understand. But again, Apple should have first dibs. Do they have to wait until the official release date?

2. scaredpoet, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

[citation needed]

There is no guarantee that "release" means that yields are great and stock will be plentiful.

By the way, the latest rumors make it clear that "release" and "mass shipments" are absolutely not the same thing. And shipments are NOT starting now. Not by a longshot.

We honestly don't know that Apple will always have first dibs. If they pay enough, probably. If someone outbids them? Then we'll have to wait. Intell will always go with whoever is willing to strike the most favorable ($$$$) deal. So far it's just happened that Apple has been zealous about this.

3. ToomeyND thread starter macrumors 6502

I hadn't seen this article yet. I was doing some searching before my post, but this makes it much more clear. Thanks for your reply.

4. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I sure hope Apple delays the Broadwell Air instead of releasing a product with tons of bugs like they did with the Haswell.

5. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

Initial bugs with Broadwell?

Do you think that a machine with Broadwell will be burdened with tons of bugs initially, and - if so - for how long time (months?)?

6. psik macrumors 6502

It should not be because mavericks will be mature at that time

7. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

lol at the whole OP.

Apple should have first dibs? Why? Because you say so? They should have them before Intel releases them? Again...lol

8. Jedi Master macrumors regular

There is every reason to expect big delay

Very low yields I would also question "good ones" check out the Intel roadmap.

And with samsung dropping out of the 14nm race for iOS chips seems like the14nm chips Re doomed
    Maybe late July, with cpu's being very constrained ......

I will be very fun the watch.i'm thinking it might be sky lake before we see a worthy CPU, but time willtell

9. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Broadwell is delayed because Intel haven't made enough money from the Haswell chips yet. There are also vast amounts of inventory in the channels.

You won't see Broadwell until Q1 2015 if PC sales remain this bad.

10. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

Also, Intel has no competition driving them forward. The last time Intel put the brakes on output, AMD beat them to 1GHz. Unfortunately, that isn't about to happen again, unless something out of left field appears.

11. ToomeyND thread starter macrumors 6502

Not because I say so, but because they have ponied up in the past to have that right. Given they have hoards of cash, it would seem logical that they still have the ability to pay up front to maintain that position.

And yes, it would make sense for manufacturers of laptops to get shipments of the chips AS they are being fabricated. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for Intel to hold onto 99 chips because they sold Apple 100 and they have to ship them all at once. Ship them as they are coming out.

Unless, of course, you think Intel released Haswell, and then shipped them to Apple, and then Apple built all of their MBA in three weeks....