Why expensive Black Magic / AJA stuff for monitoring HD?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ppc_michael, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I just got a DVI to HDMI cable for under $10 and it works perfectly for monitoring HD directly from the FCP timeline to my Sony HD monitor. So I'm wondering, what is the advantage of the alternative expensive monitoring tools such as the Black Magic card?

2. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

in short - color reproduction. It's broadcast accurate with the AJA/BM equipment.

Though i'm sure someone can come up with a more extensive list of reasons.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The image from the FCP Canvas, Viewer, and/or Digital Cinema Desktop is just a proxy and can't be counted on for accurate viewing. The signal coming off the DVI port is not a b'cast standard video signal and therefore for isn't accurate. The AJA and BM cards also give you more than just monitoring (various inputs and outputs, real-time cross converting done in hardware, etc.,)

If you want a quality, budget HD monitoring solution get a Matrox MXO and a 23" ACD.

Lethal

4. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

5. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

I think the colour accuracy issue is sometimes overplayed. When you compare what the colour looks like on the Canvas and what it looks like coming out of an AJA or Blackmagic card, the difference may seem inconsequential to you — it's a case of what level of accuracy you really need. I think the bigger issue is DVI being progressive-only, meaning you're not seeing interlaced stuff as it really is.

If your input/output is all going to be data-based (Firewire and P2/SxS cards, etc.) then a budget option just for monitoring is the Blackmagic Intensity. It'll give you a proper broadcast out for monitoring direct from your source footage, interlaced or progressive, 50Hz/59.94Hz. It doesn't have the other connections or bells and whistles cards further up the Blackmagic line do, but if you're not a cow or a referee then you probably don't need them. (I haven't actually used this card, I'm just going on specs.)

6. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I think colour is really important to think about actually. Broadcasters have very strict rules on the format of video to be broadcast and a proper monitoring system is vital to meet their requirements.

7. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

For filters, transitions, and some effects to play back without render in full quality, real time. :cool:

8. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Don't get me wrong, it's almost always going to beneficial to have a properly set-up output and monitor, but for some things it's overkill. And I think waveforms and vectorscopes are the way to go for monitoring broadcast legality.

I like your avatar. That's the badger's tail, right?