Why FaceTime is Wifi Only

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BeerNap, Jul 2, 2010.

1. BeerNap macrumors newbie

Just saw a commercial for FaceTime [iP4] and it hit me. In most of the shots they had the phone in a left hand death grip. No silly band on the phone. All testing/shooting of the commercial ended in dropped calls. So what do they do, WiFi only!

What do you think? :rolleyes:

2. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Because 3G is to slow and people would start complaining about how it sucks and screw up forums with crap threads

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I could be wrong, but I think it is more due to current network capacity than speed. Apple plans to allow Facetime on 3G next year.

4. casedogg311 macrumors member

5. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

I beg to differ on that...I consistently get 2700 down every where in my area.

6. army91c macrumors 6502a

I think you need to worry about other things.... trying to be a brainiac isn't working for you.

7. celticpride678

Apple is planning on releasing FaceTime over 3G next year once they work out deals with carriers.

Most likely the reason right now is because of network stress. AT&T's having trouble keeping up with just iPhone's - let alone iPhone's with video chat.

8. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

How close are you to a tower? I am usually getting speeds of maybe 400 if I am lucky.

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

Don't forget that FaceTime uses relatively significant upstream bandwidth too.

10. supremeMilo macrumors member

11. celticpride678

Sweet and simple!:p

12. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Data plans are going to have to change again once FaceTime goes 3G.

13. nosser macrumors regular

It's because Steve Jobs was thinking about bad men all over the world. Imagine a man at the strip club, bar, or anywhere he's not suppose to be and the significant other calls and wants to Face Time.... what are you going to do?.. Say "baby I can't right now because I'm getting a lapdance". NO now you can say "Awe baby I don't have wifi I'm just picking up something to eat and be home soon... I'm not one of those guys but I understand and I'm okay with it only wifi. Would you really want everyone in your business while on a Face Time session walking down the street?