Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KimIlSung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2013
South Philly
I read macrumors forums to learn about my devices, and I read this subforum to learn about the features other brands are bringing to the table. But i'm a bit peeved with how many threads there are on users that try to convince us on what phone we should be buying. Or maybe to convince themselves?

Reassurance posts, inferiority complexes, or paid shills for other companies?

How many people who prefer iOS feel the need to go to Android forums and do the same thing? The largest Android forum has a subforum for iOS and other devices, with a whopping 200 threads, and threads from last year on the first page.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/iphone-ios/

Note the locked "Thinking about switching to an iPhone" thread :(

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
I'm not sure what you mean. You don't think people should give advice to others on what they might like to use? I personally enjoy reading others opinions. It's very rare for many to be unbiased, but it's still advice for others to ponder.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The people who come here and just have Android devices are just weird. But you know what? If they are nice to us, I don't really care. Most of the Android forums are filled with teenagers and just very *ahem* ironic people (for the lack of a better word).

If you're actually looking to use your device and not just sit there and flash stuff and play games, those forums are just useless. You could ask someone about a nice notes app, and people would just like "uhhhhh, what?" So that's what really separates our little group here. Since most of us here like the app experience of iOS, we're trying to have a pretty good one on Android here.

As for the debates, yeah, I want them to stop, but you can't have everything. :rolleyes:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
You have to remember there are people with other Apple products that use Android devices too.

Personally I switch between iPhones and Android phones so does that mean I can't post here?

I agree with Jessica about it being weird to see people who have no Apple products coming here.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
Because far more Android users own other Apple products (iPad, Mac, aTV) than Apple users other Android products (tablets, Google TV).

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Easy. Apple makes computers along with phones and ipads. There are a significant number of people with mac's that have an android phone. Android does not have computers therefore you don't have the mix. Either someone has an android phone or you don't.

Are you saying people should not come here unless they own apple products only? If so I have not seen that in the rules, otherwise you will get some that like and own mac's but prefer android phones. That's just life, not everyone is married to just one brand.

Really the only people bothered are those that have taken a brand name as a family member and think it "sacrilige" to own, or even discuss, anything else.

Personally I like mac's, ipad's, atv, but I like android better than iphone (for now).

----------

Because far more Android users own other Apple products (iPad, Mac, aTV) than iPhone users other Android products (tablets, Google TV).

Heh, just beat me and not as long winded as mine.:)

Last edited:

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Simple answer: People who are (and can be) invested in the Apple ecosystem are settled, and have no interest in Android forums. Of the Android users, there are two main categories:

- Those who use a bit of everything (i.e. Me - iOS, Android, OSX, Windows)
- Those who have an axe to grind.

There are also in-betweeners who just want to learn one way or another (they can be hard to spot IMHO, and can easily be accused of being in one or the other of the above two categories).

Edit: It's great to be able to address Eternal Leader on an internet forum instead of receiving his wisdom though séance.

Last edited:

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Why is this such a big deal to you? You are posting in a section of the forum that is labeled "alternatives to iOS" or something like that. What do you expect people to be talking about here? I am not real sure what you have a complaint about.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
I read macrumors forums to learn about my devices, and I read this subforum to learn about the features other brands are bringing to the table. But i'm a bit peeved with how many threads there are on users that try to convince us on what phone we should be buying. Or maybe to convince themselves?

Reassurance posts, inferiority complexes, or paid shills for other companies?

How many people who prefer iOS feel the need to go to Android forums and do the same thing? The largest Android forum has a subforum for iOS and other devices, with a whopping 200 threads, and threads from last year on the first page.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/iphone-ios/

Note the locked "Thinking about switching to an iPhone" thread :(

Funny how you sign up on here just to make this thread and people defending android on here are the ones with inferiority complexes and paid shills

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I think you guys misunderstand the OP (unless I am). While it's nice to get a lot of opinions on Alternative devices and such, there are too many posters berating Apple users on an Apple related forum. Cut through the BS of trolls that pass by, there are still a ton of posts that come off on the extreme end of Android fanboyism. And while you also get Apple fanboys quick to refute sound statements/arguments, did you really not expect it on a (again) Apple related forum?

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I actually really like the viewpoints here. As an android user I also read a lot of android blogs but sometimes it feels like an echo chamber with everyone saying the same thing and agreeing the same way. I wouldn't for example expect to get an honest opinion on an android tablet vs an iPad in an Android forum. And I wouldn't expect to get an honest opinion on the regular iPad forum either but here I feel like there is a little more room for real discussion because you have both staunch Android supporters as well as people who are venturing (or not) from iOS.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Because this is one of the most sane places to have constructive and useful discussion about android instead of blind "go android go" and "flash or die" attitude of other forums, as long as you ignore the fanboy ish debates.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I own Apple and Android products. I love Apples computer lineup but feel Android is the better Phone OS. You will probably find most of the Android users that post on these forums are in a similar situation.

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
While we can complain about behaviors within the forums, the reality is it's like that in a lot of places. Go to many Linux forums and see similar behavior, particularly between Linux users and Windows users, sometimes even Mac users. And you can even see it between Linux distributions on some forums (Debian forums if you're an Ubuntu fan, for example).

All we can do is take the high road, be more mature than the trolls and ignore what we know or sense is just immaturity or trolling.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
When the conversation is sane and motive free, the threads here are fantastic. The diversity here with Windows Phone, iOS, BlackBerry and Android owners all under one roof is also great.

MacRumors - a site titled with no phone links (ironically.) has one of the best mobile multiplatform forums around IMO.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
When the conversation is sane and motive free, the threads here are fantastic. The diversity here with Windows Phone, iOS, BlackBerry and Android owners all under one roof is also great.

MacRumors - a site titled with no phone links (ironically.) has one of the best mobile multiplatform forums around IMO.

Exactly. When conversations remain open minded and objective the threads are fantastic.

Likewise vast majority of users here in this subsection actually share something in common in the fact we utilise mac computers and OSX. That is normally the over-arching thing that binds us together. I myself have been here 8 years and have been a mac user for over 20 years..... Just that I choose to enjoy technology from a wide variety of sources as I appreciate the benefits all of them being to the table. I can not abide 'brand loyalty' and find the concept alien. To Samsung, Apple, Microsoft, HTC, Nike, Addidas, Giant, Specialized, LG, Philips, Sony, Nintendo and the myriad of other brands hardware that I interact with in every room and every day of my life, I feel no 'allegiance'. The only company who recognised my Apple Macintosh usage and time i spent offering support on some forums to other macintosh users was Microsoft, not Apple.... Go figure...

That all being said....

However it is also of no coincidence that at times during certain manufacturers product launch we get a spait of newbies that start to perpetuate on the forum and I always remain a little skeptical over their motive - especially if they have never posted in any of the main forum sections - or if they do the content is pretty much the same "I bought this because my apple product is boring" kind of threads.

A small caveat...

There is one thing that surprises me however is that those 'fans' or brand loyalists create quite a interesting dichotomy. As those 'android' users also segregate themselves and often split off into further android brand users - 'Samsung devotees', 'HTC devotees', 'pure google Nexus devotees'.. So I do find it quite funny that there is a greater amount of 'in fighting' between android users than there is between iPhone users. You don't get the same venom or vitriol from an iPhone 4 user to an iPhone 5 user or an iPad mini to an iPad 3/4 user - as you do get at quite often from 'brand A Android user' to 'brand B Android user'.....

With the silly smack talk and fanatical rants from people devoted to one brand and irrationally hating on another brand - despite both being 'android' devices at the end of the day....

The unified theme of both being android uses doesn't seem to count for much and you get far more nastiness, irrational hatred and trolling between different Android users than you get at times from iOS to Android (and vice versa) users.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Most people who post here had or have an iPhone so they're knowledge and point of view as an iPhone owner transitioning to an Android (or alternate) device is very helpful.

The recommendations and tips of what phones and apps to use has helped me and a lot of members make the switch easier.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I think you guys misunderstand the OP (unless I am). While it's nice to get a lot of opinions on Alternative devices and such, there are too many posters berating Apple users on an Apple related forum.

On the other hand this IS the "Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices" section.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
On the other hand this IS the "Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices" section.

Alternatives... but still an Apple based forum. My point wasn't that debates, suggestions, and opinions shouldn't be given. But to go on to an Apple forum to pass your opinion that Android is best as fact... what's the point of that?

For example, I think iOS is the best in mobile. My personal opinion. And it's cool to read why others think Android is better, or BB10 is better, or Windows 8 is better. But then there are those who go to the extremes to argue that it is nonsense to even consider iOS...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Alternatives... but still an Apple based forum. My point wasn't that debates, suggestions, and opinions shouldn't be given. But to go on to an Apple forum to pass your opinion that Android is best as fact... what's the point of that?

For example, I think iOS is the best in mobile. My personal opinion. And it's cool to read why others think Android is better, or BB10 is better, or Windows 8 is better. But then there are those who go to the extremes to argue that it is nonsense to even consider iOS...

Especially if their only posts are in a 'sub section' on an iOS main section in a Macintosh forum.

Those willing to sign up to a 'Macintosh' forum to only post in a small sub-section of that forum and berate Apple and other iOS users - whilst bestowing virtues of their new fangled and lets be honest here 'often Samsung branded' devices - whilst telling us that their brother, sister, uncle, brother in law, room mate, next door neighbours poodle have another 'coincidentally' Samsung branded hardware and moved from Apple.... clearly has to have their motives questioned and indeed looks suspicious.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Exactly. When conversations remain open minded and objective the threads are fantastic.

Likewise vast majority of users here in this subsection actually share something in common in the fact we utilise mac computers and OSX. That is normally the over-arching thing that binds us together. I myself have been here 8 years and have been a mac user for over 20 years..... Just that I choose to enjoy technology from a wide variety of sources as I appreciate the benefits all of them being to the table. I can not abide 'brand loyalty' and find the concept alien. To Samsung, Apple, Microsoft, HTC, Nike, Addidas, Giant, Specialized, LG, Philips, Sony, Nintendo and the myriad of other brands hardware that I interact with in every room and every day of my life, I feel no 'allegiance'. The only company who recognised my Apple Macintosh usage and time i spent offering support on some forums to other macintosh users was Microsoft, not Apple.... Go figure...

That all being said....

However it is also of no coincidence that at times during certain manufacturers product launch we get a spait of newbies that start to perpetuate on the forum and I always remain a little skeptical over their motive - especially if they have never posted in any of the main forum sections - or if they do the content is pretty much the same "I bought this because my apple product is boring" kind of threads.

A small caveat...

There is one thing that surprises me however is that those 'fans' or brand loyalists create quite a interesting dichotomy. As those 'android' users also segregate themselves and often split off into further android brand users - 'Samsung devotees', 'HTC devotees', 'pure google Nexus devotees'.. So I do find it quite funny that there is a greater amount of 'in fighting' between android users than there is between iPhone users. You don't get the same venom or vitriol from an iPhone 4 user to an iPhone 5 user or an iPad mini to an iPad 3/4 user - as you do get at quite often from 'brand A Android user' to 'brand B Android user'.....

With the silly smack talk and fanatical rants from people devoted to one brand and irrationally hating on another brand - despite both being 'android' devices at the end of the day....

The unified theme of both being android uses doesn't seem to count for much and you get far more nastiness, irrational hatred and trolling between different Android users than you get at times from iOS to Android (and vice versa) users.

I think your right about the Mac thing. I know I get kind of out of hand sometimes, but I think this is the best forum to discuss technology. I first came here looking for information about the iPad. At that point I has a android phone, and Mac computer. I just look at the forums for a long time before I joined.

I think this site has some of the best discussing, and the moderators keep things in check.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Because this is one of the most sane places to have constructive and useful discussion about android instead of blind "go android go" and "flash or die" attitude of other forums, as long as you ignore the fanboy ish debates.

I own Apple and Android products. I love Apples computer lineup but feel Android is the better Phone OS. You will probably find most of the Android users that post on these forums are in a similar situation.

These ^^. A majority of my household tech is from Apple and I spent many years using an iPhone, only to test the waters with Android this past year. The chances of me finding advice/perspective from others in a similar situation to mine is far greater here than anywhere else, IMO. And as most Android users here have likely used an iPhone at some point, being able to offer their take having familiarity with both platforms is very useful.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
This is a great forum comprised of many users, enthusiasts & tech lovers. As such, many of us have been with Apple for years before smartphones existed. There's a huge population of multi-platform enthusiasts as well.

Now that smartphones are a tool we use in our workflows it's only natural that Android, iOS & others are represented here. There's nothing wrong with that, or the personal preferences & opinions that come along with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.