Why fear the new?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by xcodeaddict, Jun 15, 2013.

1. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

You may be used to using a typewriter, but a PC ("personal computer" - don't start that... :p) is faster and more efficient - that doesn't make the typewriter "better", and it doesn't make the PC "worse", it just makes them different, and it makes the typewriter user someone who is used to performing tasks in a way they are used to, that is all.

With every iteration of a design, comes fear and trepidation, as those who have yet to fully understand why X object or system has changed, point out the immediate - the obvious, as they only have that to go on, for the most part. Understanding why a new thing is how it is, is key to learning that the designer didn't gratuitously re-invent/re-iterate the product "to annoy me", they did it as part of a necessary evolution and progression of the design of human interaction with machines. Would it be acceptable or "good enough" to stick with the older system? Of course, but then, where is the joy in life... the challenges and the learning of the new, by sticking to "good enough"? That's the viewpoint of many designers, which is why - yes - they are "good enough", but then, so are their sales figures and customer satisfaction reports.

If Apple stuck with the older designs, only tweaking the odd pixel and button every 2 years or so, people would complain, and they did - A LOT. Yes, the iPhone would still work, but being human is not merely about functioning, but about exploring, interacting and taking joy from experiencing the new and the exciting!

So, if you fear innovation, you will deride the immediate, the obvious appearance of iOS 7, because that is the only experience which you may have had of it - the only bit you have to go on so far, and many of you will only have seen screenshots, and have immediately made up their minds to "hate" it - "it looks like it was designed using crayons" ... it was obvious that these comments would come, but software by it's very nature is "soft", not fixed - it allows change, and change will come whether you embrace it or reject it, so which is better for you - to pick out the obvious and magnify the perceived, possibly imaginary problems you envisage from it, or to open-mindedly accept that this IS how design is, and give it a fair run, ONCE it has been released (and for a few months).

Let me make a point you may not have considered:

Were this the first EVER iPhone, and the first EVER iOS, you would have no point of reference against which to judge it - but since you do, you therefore complain, but imagine Android and WinMo do not exist (and they didn't, when iPhone "1" was announced)... you would see it's beauty, and have no point of reference to hold it against... so be that person - look at iOS 7 with new, excited eyes, and then consider to take it on its' own individual design elements and merits.. if you can, that is - do you still "hate" it? Okay... but consider carefully why?

Don't expect other people to care if you like iOS 7 or not, with due respect, why should we? I don't expect you to like iOS 7 - I care not a bit. I like chocolate, you may hate it - should I care that you hate it? Does that make me a worse person for liking it? That would be preposterous, of course, if that were the case.

Regain focus, and consider this: Apple don't design to offend, they design to delight and to make beautiful objects that many hundreds of millions of people DELIGHT in buying, unpacking and using their devices and software ALL the time, and it is an obvious fact that there are going to be a vocal minority who "hate" their products, but their aim and focus is not to be the most popular, so they're unconcerned - why are the "haters" focused on shouting the loudest, so they can tell Apple, Jony Ive, "YOU'VE GOT IT WRONG!" - what do you think Apple would say to you, the minority? Not much I bet - they'd smile, humbly, and wish you a good afternoon.

If you can design a better iOS, and I am being serious, then start your own competing company, and design something to out-shine Apple's gloss (or lack of, now :p ) and show the world *your* vision of how things "should be" - THAT would be constructive, wouldn't it!

2. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I didn't read this whole post, but I imagine it could be written more concisely. In any case, Apple has made some serious blunders with the visual design. Everything else is great. Nobody is "fearing" iOS 7.

3. xcodeaddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

Re-write it in your own words if you like - there's no copyright :)

Yes they are fearing it - fear shouts LOUD, basic psychology.

4. zbarvian macrumors 68010

You're trying to be equally loud in quelling this "fear," then. Why should people not raise complaints?

5. shortcrust macrumors 6502

To post this, you must think we're sooooo stupid.:(

6. xcodeaddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

Where did I say or imply that? :confused:

----------

Did you read it, thoroughly and without assumption? I don't wish to "quell" anything at all - I'm way beyond caring what a random person online likes by personal choice. I am posting a view of how I perceive the fear of the new by others reacting to this release - do you think I care who loves or hates it? It even says that IN the post - this is observation, and if you take that personally? Well... ok.... can't help you then, sorry.

7. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I saw its length after a few lines and decided not to, figuring it wouldn't be much different than your post a few hours ago. Just let us whine and rant if you don't care. Nobody's scared of a new mobile operating system, people are disgruntled at the visual crap that is iOS 7.

8. xcodeaddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

"Visual crap"? Wow, an informed comment.

You see my post as a personal attack? That is quite egotistical, with respect. It was an observational post - I am unsure how many other ways you wish me to put it, so it aligns with your views - it is what it is, and yes - you may whine and rant all you like - I am not saying people shouldn't - it is, yet again, an observation of behaviour - I think you are trying to get a rise, ergo an argument from me? Sorry, not tonight :)

9. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

tl;dr but I'll bite anyway.

The only thing I fear, if you will, is that the polish, precision and dedication that I'm used to after using Apple products and software for so many years won't be there in iOS 7 once it comes out, but it'll take another year of iterations for it to feel Apple-worthy again.

Apple makes a big deal about how everything needs to work together in order to create the best products. They even fired their main iOS guy and restructured the organisation to accomplish that goal. So when I see beautiful products like the iPhone that were so carefully crafted, it feels wrong to use it with software that's not Apple-like in that it feels unfinished, rushed and not well thought out.

That's all.

10. xcodeaddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

I see your point, but I would just state the obvious; it's new, give it a chance. If you watch the 2013 WWDC developer sessions videos, you would see the incredible, deep details and decisions that went into the concepts and design of iOS 7 - the considerations and refinements are explained in calm but staggering detail for many, many hours.

PS: I don't work for Apple, I don't mind what you use :p

11. shortcrust, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2013

shortcrust macrumors 6502

What you say can be essentially be summarised as 'people don't like iOS 7 because they're dumb, closed minded and fearful'. You seem to suggest that if only they had a higher awareness of their emotions and their responses they would see the light, and you kindly attempt to guide them through this journey of self discovery and understanding. Ironic that you then call another poster egotistical!

Try to remember that the opinions of other people are likely to be built on foundations that are just as strong as your own.