Why future proof?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Feb 27, 2014.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

I keep telling myself, when I have the funds for a rMBP, I will undoubtedly outfit the machine with 16GB of RAM. While I don't need it now, my needs may change down the line.

Well, I was thinking. Given how challenging these machines are to repair (I don't even know how Apple does it), and given that AppleCare is a must, there is an inherent risk to keeping the machine beyond 3 years. Why future proof these devices for 5 years when 40% of the time you have it the computer is at risk of a fatal, non-repairable problem?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I guess you have to look at your buying habits and if you typically use one for 5+ years then I'd say adding the most ram does makes sense.

If you include apple care, then you're only talking 2 years out of warranty where you would have to pay for a repair. I think Apple's track record is such that consistently getting 5 years out of their laptops is feasible and expected even if there's a low repairability to these new machines.

If you tend to get machines every 2 or 3 years, then maxing it out for the future doesn't make sense imo.

I tend to turn my machines over every 3 years, but this time, I'm planning on bucking that trend, mostly because I'm dirt poor and have two kids who have computing needs, so my computing needs come after them.

3. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

It depends how long you'll keep it. I have a mbp that is going on 5 years that stills runs everyday tasks pretty well. I'm gonna upgrade once apple releases updated versions of them (I don't need a new one right away) this one is a a c2d and takes forever and lags in final cut when importing and exporting projects, but once I buy a new one I'll keep it for 4-5 years, so I'll want something with maxed out ram and a large ssd drive.
    It does look pretty annoying that the user can't upgrade the internals on the retina models and has to max them out with overpriced hardware from apple, but If I'm spending 2k on a computer I'll spend a few hundred more to make sure it'll last a long time.
    I'm pretty sure once apple care is up you can re-up for another year or two.

4. Jaben3421 macrumors regular

Unfortunately, no. I would love to just keep buying Applecare and never run out of warranty. However, you can only purchase AppleCare once during your first year of warranty, and then once those 3 years are up you're on your own.

5. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Your reasoning makes sense. Apple is pushing consumers to buy computers dimensioned to the current user's needs. If you need doing things faster, buy a faster computer, so keeping a Macbook longer than 3 years doesn't make sense since it will only get slower with time. There's no alternate path, no workarounds which can make your computer a great performer a little longer.

I'm not planning buying new gear for the next 3 years, but my next purchase will be a high-end Lenovo or Dell if Apple plans keeping this philosophy of turning professional gear into consumer gear.

6. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

*It's another marketing scheme. If you feel anxious that something might happen where your computer breaks down randomly (after 1 year), then you get Apple Care. Otherwise, it's a waste of money. Speaking from a person that doesn't like to spend money when they don't have to.

The way I see it is:

1) You can trust Apple's quality (whether your logic board fails 2 years in, or 4 years in, is by chance)

2) You can spend needless amounts of money on every precaution (future proof, apple care) just to fall under the same circumstance of chance as whether you'd done anything or not.

*Personal opinion

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I buy AppleCare for the piece of mind. I don't consider it a bad investment if I never get to use it. For me I prefer a computer that never breaks.

It's like health insurance. Better to have it and never use it, then not have it when you need it.

Because I have AppleCare, I take my computer in to get a checked out when I get a chance. It something is broken it will get repaired. If I didn't have AppleCare, I'd probably attempt to fix it myself or just get a new computer.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree with that assessment, though I let my one year of MBP lapse into year two with my rMBP so no applecare for me. I'm now rolling the dice that year two and three will be problem free.

I think extended warranties are not needed but given the high cost of repair of the MBP, its easy to justify if only for peace of mind as you state.

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I agree. It is well known that vendors make a lot of money on these warranties, since on average the machines don't break all that much, and also because their actual cost to repair/replace a machine is not that high.

Of course an individual can't rely on the average, so for those who prefer the peace of mind, or who definitely could not afford the cost of repair or replacement, it is still a useful expense.

Using these forums as a measure of possible issues, water and accidental damage seems to be the number one cause of macbook deaths. Behind that it seems GPU failures are the single largest reason for dead MBPs. While a lot of people complain about their screens etc, those problems are usually visible immediately after purchase, so always covered by the 1 year default warranty.

So the bottom line of this: If your MBP doesn't have a discrete GPU, skip Applecare and get accident insurance instead ;)