Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
thanks for the response, i have got hold of a copy of ML so i will be installing on an external hard drive, i appreciate all the advice given which is why i have decided not to install on main hard drive. thanks

Really? You cannot wait for another 4 months until the official release?

It's sad really. Bunch of teenage kids spending $100 bucks to try a piece of software with their friends... there is a reason why it is for developers only. It's his money so I am no one to say anything but what does bother me is the number of threads that are going to come next saying oh my gosh I did ML and my computer broke and I am not a dev and blah blah nonsense.

anthony cox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
well i installed it all correctly on my external hard drive, been using it seems stable but not a lot new to be honest, will wait for official release. hope its not going to cost more than £20.99.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I think If you really want to get your hands on it nothing wrong with getting a developers account.. Obviously this is just a Developer Preview so you can't expect complete stability..

As far as people saying you'll screw up your computer, I don't see why.. First of all make sure you've backed up your files to an external enclosure, after you get a account you can burn the DMG or make a bootable USB drive..

Not sure why everyone is scaring you, because there is no way Installing an Operating System is going to have an effect on the Apple EFI.. If for some reason you have driver issues or anything along those lines you can always press ALT & insert Lion or Snow Leopard DVD/USB and format the drive accordingly..

BUT just an FYI if you don't know much about formatting a drive using Disk Utility, or the process required to install Mac OSX fresh then your better off to leave it alone..

Last edited:

Primus84

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2005
UK
BUT just an FYI if you don't know much about formatting a drive using Disk Utility, or the process required to install Mac OSX fresh then your better off to leave it alone..

His questions make it perfectly clear that this is the case, hence why he was advised to leave well alone.

Jaben3421

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2011
CA
Unless you are actually a developer, don't bother with a developer account. Suppose you only have one computer and you become a developer and a new build wrecks your computer - what do you do now?

Developer accounts are fine if you have multiple systems and are actually a developer and can deal with possible bad builds and driver issues and have multiple backups.

Don't go off thinking that you can just get a developer account and then your Mac will run Mountain Lion and all will be great.

Not true. I only have a MacBook Pro and a old MacMini, and I develop things and test ML. Just partition your HDD or get an external one. Problem solved. Something goes wrong, boot into your main drive, either erase the partition, or erase the drive.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Not true. I only have a MacBook Pro and a old MacMini, and I develop things and test ML. Just partition your HDD or get an external one. Problem solved. Something goes wrong, boot into your main drive, either erase the partition, or erase the drive.
How do I dual boot OSX Lion and OSX Mountain Lion on a 2011 Mac Mini? Is this possible?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.