iPad why get a retina mini over air ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by isephmusic, Oct 22, 2013.

1. isephmusic macrumors 6502

the whole point of a mini was to be able to hold with one hand on a bed/train/airplane ect. the new ipad air is so light and portable theres no reason not to get it over retina mini other than you not wanting to spend the hundred bucks

2. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

The Retina Mini is still lighter than the Air. The gap isn't nearly as big but it's still a decent difference.

3. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

The mini will fit easily in my jeans pocket, my cargo pockets, etc. The Air is still a little big for that..

Now when the iPhone 6 comes out with a 5"ish ipad retina resolution screen and they have merged the lines with resolution, which is the obvious next step after having the ipad mini and air match up so much, that will definitely fit in any of my pockets..

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

One main reason will be women with purses. The iPad mini will still fit in many more purses than the iPad Air ever will.

5. M87 macrumors 65816

The mini has the same specs and resolution in a smaller package. Which means it actually has a nicer display than the Air.

6. mateo124 macrumors regular

I personally think the Mini in most cases is better to have than the Air. Smaller with the same hardware, and cheaper. Why not

7. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Mini is cheaper, has same performance specs, has a higher pixel density, and fits in more places.

8. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

If I don't need a big screen I will go for the retina mini. It has much better value for money, namely because it's $100 cheaper with nearly identical internal specs.

9. Donki macrumors newbie

I love these "why would anyone want...." threads, the simple answer is people are individuals, with different needs. I prefer the Minis form for commuting and on the go, I dont care how thin and light they make the bigger pad I like the size in the hand of the Mini. END OF STORY!

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For me its personal preference. I got the mini because the iPad is just too l large for my needs.

11. mariotr87 macrumors regular

Pretty much what I was going to say. I would like to add that the iPad Mini with retina display should charge faster due to the smaller battery, but it still yields the same battery life.

So if anything the question should be, why would anyone get the iPad Air? But of course there are use cases for that. I think people who need the bigger display should go and get it (maybe it's for work, maybe they use it for playing movies in the car, to make music, etc...).

But for casual consuming, reading, watching movies on your own, taking it everywhere, trips, etc...I think the iPad Mini is just simply perfect. I'm definitely getting one. Even if it cost the same as the iPad Air, I would still get it. I just prefer the form factor, and I'm not giving up anything but a couple of inches that I don't need and that actually don't provide more resolution, which means lower pixel density. I just don't see the point unless you NEED a bigger screen.

12. Eth123 macrumors newbie

For me PPI.

The ipad 3 and 4 screen is not that sharp when compared with the Nexus 7 2013. Nexus 10, Samsung Note 10.1 and all top end smartphones.

Apple know this and will bring out a higher res ipad air at the next attempt.

The retina mini however now breaks the 300 ppi that I personally feel is around the point of true retina i.e the eye cannot see the pixels.