Why Get Squaretrade Insurance When You Can Get a Replacement For $199 From Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by falconman515, Aug 6, 2010.

1. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

The next 10 or so replies where for my last question till I found out about this: http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty7

Out-of-Warranty Service

If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will service your iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.
    iPhone 4 Out-of-Warranty Service
    16GB & 32GB $199
    iPhone 3GS Out-of-Warranty Service
    8GB, 16GB & 32GB $199
    iPhone 3G Out-of-Warranty Service
    8GB & 16GB $199
    Original iPhone Out-of-Warranty Service
    4GB, 8GB & 16GB $199

A $6.95 shipping fee will be added if you arrange service online or by calling Apple Technical Support. All fees are in US dollars and are subject to local tax.

For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications.

Why would you wanna get any insurance and pay $150 to $200 (Price for the plan and the deductible) when you can get a new one from apple for $199? I guess like someone said if you are clumsy as heel and know your gonna break your phone multiple times within a year or two then I guess insurance may be a better route, but for those of us who have a great track record at not damaging our phones (had an iphone for 3 years and nothing yet) then passing on insurance and paying the 199 just in case I think is the better route for us.

2. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Nothing.

And it's $199 for a replacement from Apple...or a $50 deductible from st so definitely just don't get insurance.

3. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Huh? I'm a bit lost on that reply :confused:

4. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

He is saying there is nothing you can do to get the cheaper price so why bother paying 149 and a 50 dollar deductible when you can pay 199 to apple any time if you break it.

5. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

I'm trying to figure out how you only pay $199 to apple for a new one of you break it?

If you break your phone you pay for a new phone... Theres no getting the $199 price anymore since I upgraded to the iPhone 4 a month a go.

I have to pay the full $600 price for a new phone.

Am I missing something here?

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

The $199 price is for OOW (Out of Warranty) replacement, regardless of what iPhone you have. A shattered or liquid damaged iPhone 4 is technically OOW as the warranty is invalidated.

7. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Sorry I'm still lost here... so are you saying if I break my phone which of course is my fault and its not covered under the warranty... your trying to say I can go in and say oops I broke it and get a new iPhone 4 for $199???

I have never once heard anything like that.... If you break your phone that's just it... its broken and you cant get the cheap unsubsidized price anymore and you haev to pay $599.

I don't think I'm wrong here am I?

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you don't want to believe me, check out http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty7

And it needs to be in one piece, e.g. you can't blend it.

9. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Interesting:

For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications.

Does this include if dropped with broken front or back glass? Do we know EXACTLY what this OOW fee covers?

If this is the case why do people pay 100 bucks for ST insurance knowing they have to pay a 50 dollar deductible which brings them to $150 when they could sent it in to apple and pay 50 more and have it done by the pro's?

How quick is the turn around time on repairs?

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, people have paid the $199 to replace their shattered iPhones. They don't repair them, they take your shattered iPhone and give you a new/refurbished one from the brown box.

In case they break it more than once. You'll come out ahead with ST if you break it two (or more) times, whereas with Apple it'll cost you $199 each time.

Personally, I just self-insure with $199 in the bank (and get to keep the $199 plus interest if nothing happens to it) and I'm at least protected for the first 90 days as I purchased my iPhone with an Amex card with accidental damage coverage.

11. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

I think I'm now good to go then!

I highly doubt (knocked on wood) that I will ever damage my phone since I have had all phones for over 3 years now and none of them were ever damaged but I have a feeling this phone is a little more fragile.

But in the worst case scenario that I do drop it and shatter the glass or something hey if it only costs me $199 to get a new phone I am perfectly fine with that.

Thanks so much for saving me $150 bucks up front for ST insurance... I will just keep my money in the bank and replace it if I happen to break it. :D

12. threezero macrumors 6502

question:

with the oow service for $199 do apple just sent you a brand new replacement phone without going thru with your carrier?

that would mean for canadians at least that they would end up with a factory unlocked phone???

so in theory someone could pay the subsidize fee for a lock iphone. pour water on it -> sent it to apple along with $199 -> get a factory unlocked iphone for little over $300

any i missing sumthing?

13. apple3g040193 macrumors 6502

apple3g040193

I'm just wondering doesn't st cover lost or stolen iPhones also which makes st a better deal

14. Gravelstone macrumors newbie

Insurance

ST doesn't cover theft of loss. For that, you'd pay a higher premium with Asurion.

15. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

FYI, that $199 replacement can be refurbished. Right now it's not, owing to the lack of phones. However, in the future it's likely they will be.

16. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

No, ST doesn't cover lost/stolen, that is why I ended up going with Asurion. More expensive, however, it does cover everything.... I would much rather pay a $200 deductible than $700.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Refurbed iPhone 4s are out now.

18. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

State Farm supposedly insures the iPhone for 30 bucks a year.

19. jefflmorris macrumors newbie

I might be mistaken, but I believe Squaretrade makes you extend your contract when you make a claim (ie. sign up for new contract).