why get the text plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iOrlando, Jun 9, 2009.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

do people find they are still using text messaging, or is facebook messaging or some other form of communication taking over?

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

3. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

I find that even though facebook is popular among students, texting is huge as well. I used to not text very much, but once I started texting friends, I easily used ~700 or more each month which forces you to buy the $15/month plan or the $30/month family texting plan if you have 2 people.

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Believe it or not (this isn't sarcasm, FYI) there are some people that still aren't on Facebook. I actually recently deactivated mine.

SMS still rules.

5. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

as it stands now..i just dont really text much....but i could see if i start to do it...and people reciprocate...they can add up. but as it is now..i have no texting plan. if i need to reach someone, i use facebook or call.

6. ryvetted macrumors member

I deleted my Facebook too, texting is my choice.

7. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

After getting a $250 bill I got the unlimited text plan.

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm not sure if your carrier is like AT&T but we get charged for incoming texts along with sent so they *definitely add up quick.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I still text with a handful of people. What's annoying is that I use more than 200 but fewer than 1500 messages a month, but AT&T doesn't seem to want to give me the option to pay something in between.

With my current plan I'm paying $5 a month for 200 messages + unlimited in-messaging to other AT&T users, and since nearly everyone I know is on AT&T, I never have to sweat hitting the limit. Now I've got to pay $15 to cover myself. Thanks, guys.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I e-mail everyone.

If they don't have e-mail on their phone, that's not my problem. They'll get it when they get it.

11. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Call AT&T and tell them you want to add the TMS9 plan to your account. It's 750 texts for $7.49.

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Thanks. I'm gonna go a month to see how many messages I actually use and I think I'll downgrade if I'm comfortably beneath 750. 'ppreciate the hint.

13. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I do a lot of texting for business. Went over 1500 the last few months and had to get the unlimited plan. Crap...! I'll have to drop an additional $10 for unlimited text when I upgrade. Nickel and Dime I tell you....

14. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I go through that in 2 weeks, maybe less. Texting is so much easier and since everyone in my department has texting, we just text each other instead of calling each other on the crappy work phones that never work and yet needs to be charged 4 times a day.
    Facebook is ok, but I'm not going to use it for messaging people. Texting is instant and you know when you get it, messaging on Facebook isn't and you have to check it every so often to see if you have new ones.

15. pbkiller macrumors regular

At least until 3.0 comes out for all so we can enable push notifications, and until facebook updates their app to use the push service...

16. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

17. mikey28 macrumors 6502

TEXTING rules.

I had to up my plan to unlimited because I text so much.