why gps wont come to ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by macfanboy, Aug 3, 2008.

1. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

if the ipod touch had gps, it wouldn't have a data connection to
    download maps. unless apple decides to use wimax. that would be the only way apple gets gps into the touch. wimax is very unlikely because it barely exists

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

might also be because its JUST a media device, not a phone

3. macfanboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

that's true, but there would still be a small chance it could happen. I gave PROOF that it won't happen. sorry if that wasn't clear.

btw its not pointless because people keep saying how gps will come to the touch, but they don't realize its nearly impossible for it to happen

4. graemesangels macrumors member

I don't know that much about them but don't in car standalone GPS units generally come without data connections? I always thought that they came preloaded with all the necessary maps (N.A. for instance). I realize this would take up probably quite a bit of space in the iPod touch but this is a sacrifice I know I would be willing to make for that convenience while not having to be tied down with the iPhone contracts.

5. macfanboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

u would sacrifice over 2 gb? well I guess if they had at least a 64 gb touch

6. poolish macrumors regular

but they could let you choose only the maps you need, and could sync with itunes or something just the same as how music works.

7. macfanboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol this simple subject is getting out of control. you must be desperate for GPS. if it happens, I will be amazed

8. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

10. graemesangels macrumors member

While I do agree that the likelihood of Apple including GPS in the next revision of the iPod touch is very unlikely I am merely saying that that is two GB's I would be willing to sacrifice for that feature. And as someone else mentioned you could save on space if it was that big of a concern for you by only downloading maps that you knew you would require until the next time you synced. Of course you could end up screwing yourself with that approach if you veered off course too much. Until then I'll keep my fingers crossed.

11. macfanboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

don't think i don't want gps. I would LOVE it. I'm just trying to get people to think realistically.

12. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Map size isn't the problem. But unreasonable expectations are sometimes (a problem). ;)

I don't need turn-by-turn driving directions. I've been using a GPS unit w/my Macbook for over a year. High rez, regional (statewide) topo maps along with geo-data for local "features" and elevation data will easily fit on a CD.

13. graemesangels macrumors member

While I could really enjoy a GPS enabled iPod touch I imagine it would increase the cost and reduce that already meagre battery life. I think the best alternative, if it doesn't already exist, would be for a company to make a app for the app store directed at iPod touches.

It could be a large app that downloads say all of North America, in map form, on to your iPod touch and you could do all your mapping by simply entering in a start and end point all without the need for wifi.

Or it could also simply give you access to an online map database and you could download whatever maps you needed each time you synced or had a wifi connection.

These wouldn't be as full featured as the maps feature on the iPhone, instead it would be more comparable to getting directions off mapquest but instead of printing them out you just keep them on your iPod touch. An added advantage over printing them out is that you could also download all the maps within a certain peripheral distance of your intended route in case of pitstops, emergencies or road closures.

I would be willing to pay $30 plus dollars for an app like that if it worked really well. I would imagine a company like TomTom or Garmin who already have all these maps could port them over to an iPod touch app pretty easily.

14. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

GPS in an iPod is not going to happen.

Why? It's an iPod! Not a phone.

Honestly, how many teens who buy iPod touches actually would want GPS?

At most, you might see a dock add-on, but I highly doubt it.

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Why would a phone need GPS any more than a touch need GPS?

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

because gps is quickly becoming a phone feature.

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Why does this mean that it can't become a feature on the touch?

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

cost/lack of anyone giving a **** about GPS in there media player

same principle as why apple doesnt do bluray (yet)

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Apple added google maps as a basic feature. Being able to use it on the road would be a great boon. I use it with my touch constantly. If I'm headed somewhere new I download a map for where I'm going. If Apple can make a decent profit margin on the addition of GPS to the Touch2 (or 3...) I see no reason for it not to be a likely inclusion in the future. Because it's an iPod and not a Phone is no reason at all.

20. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I don't know about y'all, but I don't know many people who would use GPS on their Touch.

I'd support some sort of docking, though.

21. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I have wifi at home, wifi on the campus where I teach, wifi at my barbershop, wifi at my favorite bar, and wifi at my favorite diners. GPS isn't all about navigation. It's about location, and with a slew of location-based apps coming out it makes perfect sense. You don't need network access to get your location coordinates. Send those coordinates to a friend, and if they are within wifi range they can plot your location on their map. They can always get "500ft away, SSE", with a direction arrow using GPS. It's easy to find things once you have coordinates even without a map. Just move the direction your GPS tells you to go. It might even be more fun than knowing exactly where your friend is on a map. Geocaching, where your friend IS the cache.

22. ColdCase macrumors 68030

A somewhat limited phone feature. I think the iPhone already has the hardware built in (cell and GPS receivers) so its just software, i.e. easy to add, where the iPod does not. So you have the dongle approach, dongles go for less than $70 without the software and iPod hack. Future iPod generations could get the hardware, but the screen size and resolution and power is way too small to be anything more than a toy GPS. Lots of other performance compromises are needed to squeeze it in. A fun toy, however, and if that meets your expectations that is great.

If you really need or want GPS you can buy a very nice small portable GPS unit from Garmin and others, for less than $200, that has all the GPS features you need and internal maps in flash for all of North America or Europe as well as more than 10GBs for media. Media that can be played by itunes or another media player, as well as games, movies, music, restaurant locator, etc. Real nice units, the spouse loves hers. But they are not iPods.

The technology is there, don't know about the business case for Apple yet.