Why hack and iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by jonutarr, Apr 1, 2009.

1. jonutarr macrumors regular

jonutarr

What's the point?

I've just sold a 2g iPhone that had heaps of problems because of the jailbreak software,
    Now I'm out to buy a problem free iPod touch

What advantages does the jailbreak give you & are there as many potential problems as there are with iPhone jailbreak?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Advantages and disadvantages of jailbreaking a touch are basically the same as those for the iphone. May I suggest you take a look around the iphone hack subforum, there are lots of threads on this topic.

3. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

I just jailbroke mine this past weekend. Basically the +'s for me are Customizaton and special apps that wouldn't be allowed on the iTunes store. -'s are poorer battery life.

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

jailbreaking opens you up to custom themes, 3rd party apps like pockettouch that apple would never allow to go up on the app store

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You do realise that restoring the iPhone via iTunes would have stopped the problems that the jailbreak caused...?

6. jonutarr thread starter macrumors regular

jonutarr

wifi problems, no mail app, re-jailbreaking & 1600 errors, restoring the iPhone via iTunes fixes none of that

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No mail app? What do you mean? Jailbreaking disabled your mail app?

Oh, and have you considered the iPhone 3G? Got one here that I jailbroke a few months ago, running nice and smooth, without any problems.

8. jonutarr thread starter macrumors regular

jonutarr

^ Mail app cannot connect to server ever = no mail app

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

If you had that kind of problems by jailbreaking you did something wrong.

10. jonutarr thread starter macrumors regular

jonutarr

:rolleyes:

I WILL RESTATE THE OP

I WANT TO KNOW:

1) THE BENEFITS OF JAILBREAKING AN IPOD TOUCH

2) POTENTIAL ISSUES DURING & AFTER JAILBREAKING AN IPOD TOUCH

**DON'T WANT ANY MORE OFF TOPIC COMMENTS THANK YOU**

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, since you've jailbroken an iphone before, you would know about the benefits and problems of jailbreaking. I'm not sure why you think the benefits and problems related to jailbreaking an ipod touch would be different from those of jailbreaking an iphone. Perhaps if you told us why you think they would be different?

12. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=571381

I suggest you read that. To unjailbreak a 2G iPhone it's as simple as doing a restore (obviously it's only the restore in iTunes stuff that you should've done; the Quickpwn stuff wouldn't apply to you unless you were also unlocking it).

It seems more that they have no idea what they're talking about, they think that just because they've jailbroken their old iPhone that they know everything about jailbreaking. The fact that they're getting so defensive means that:

a) They jailbroke their phone incorrectly and didn't realise it.
    b) It never crossed their mind to attempt a restore.

13. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

Technically, Mail app cannot connect to server ever = no FUCTIONING mail app.

"no mail app" would imply the application has been deleted.

:D

On a different note, I don't use my iPod Touch that much, and only found that customizing the interface with themes to be interesting. Back to the regular 2.2.1 for me.

14. senter(left) macrumors newbie

there are plenty of benefits, and a lot of cool/crazy things to do with it that you wouldn't have thought possible

for me personally, my favorite thing about jailbreaking was being able to get an application called Mplayer.

i have the entire series of dragonball z on my computer, 250+ episodes, all for only 10 gigs. the only drawback is that they are in .rmvb format, which basically means nothing except real player plays it and its a b*tch to convert. with the jailbreak (and Mplayer) i can just drag all 10 gigs on to my ipod touch and have the whole series in the palm of my hand, no converting necessary =] of course, i only do a few episodes at a time so i can save room for my music and games :p

15. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The iPod touch jailbreak is virtually identical to the iPhone one. If your iPhone became problematic because of the jailbreak, then it may be a good idea to just stay with the official iPod touch firmware because there's a chance the same problems may be encountered - in addition to this, the jailbreak for the current touch has only just come out, and the main routes for jailbreaking (Pwnagetool/Quickpwn) haven't been updated to include it yet. There are a few other options, there's some Quickpwn-type apps like QuickFreedom (Windows-only), but these seem to be a bit buggy and very hit-and-miss in regards to properly jailbreaking the device. I hope this helps (see, I can be helpful) :p

16. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

17. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Why be rude when YOU are the one that needs help?!

Maybe you should listen to people, instead of thinking you know it all. It's quite obvious you dont know much, about this topic at least.

Ipod touch and iphone run the same os. when a jailbreak is performed correctly, i have not heard of any adverse side affects... other than joy. :D

Oh and if you do run into problems i know for a fact a restore through iTunes will fix it so you can try to jailbreak again, but the correct way.

18. v8ko macrumors newbie

ha I love it when people have meltdowns on forums. And Good Luck with that.

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I love it when n00bs bump meltdowns which might have otherwise been forgotten about. :p