Why has Apple not produced a Gamepad accessory?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by vcoleiro1, Sep 27, 2012.

1. vcoleiro1, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

vcoleiro1 macrumors member

I have heard rumors over the years that Apple were thinking of producing a Gamepad accessory, but it looks like it's not happening any time soon. They even filed a patent for one in 2010

One of the things I most want on my ipod Touch (and for the iPhone) would be to have a slide out gamepad with full game controls (2 analogue nubs, dpad, 4-6 face buttons and trigger buttons)

I just don't understand why Apple hasn't released such an accessory. Touch controls for most games are just rubbish. Don't get me wrong, their are many games that are designed and work best with touch controls, but touch is not good for games like shooters, fps etc etc.

I could see Apple launching such an accessory and having a "Apple Gamepad Ready" logo next to games in the App store that support it. Perhaps Apple would call it the iGame ;). I think it would do to the portable gaming world what the iphone did to the phone industry. I just don't get why they have not done it yet.

2. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

They don't really like external things :p good suggestion however, it would be nice

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Because they've been focusing on much, much, much more exciting things:

[​IMG]

Think, buttons that appear only when you need them. I've been watching them refine this particular idea for 3 or 4 years now.