Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bangkok is Hot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Bangkok
Hi everyone,

I've been using Apple products for nearly 30 years, and it is with pain and frustration that I share these stories. However, I am not going to overpay just to be treated like crap, and Apple has not paid any attention to me, so I am reassured that they do not care.

First of all, I have bought umpteen iPads, iPhones, iMacs, MacBookPros. I'd love to see a list from them, since they have all my behavioral data, but it would only make it hurt all the more.

I was using an iPad pro 512 and somehow, carrying it in my backpack caused a slight bend. However, it kept bending and bending on its own until it finally stopped working. Apple would not fix it, nor allow me to fix it. This is already a bad sign to me, as Samsung fixes their produce, often within one hour from my experience. I cannot imagine buying a car only to hear they will not service it, so what kind of attitude is this??? I finally broke down and paid the replacement swap fee, only to have the new one break again, just past the warranty period, despite treating it like a Disney princess. Again, no repairs, and not allowed to repair. I hoped for a final backup, so took to a third party who showed me straight out that it was not new at all, it was refurbished. This is ugly and wrong. Apple forbids us to repair their products, and they refuse to repair them, and yet it turns out they are giving us leftovers.

Goodbye iPad Pro, hello Samsung. Love it. Touch screen maybe not quite as good, but hey, they give you the stylus for free, they will service it if it needs any repairs, and they treat me with respect. Apparently something Apple cannot do.

Now enter Covid 19 and I have started preparing a lot of materials to use online. I have an iMac 2019, but talked myself into buying a new top of the line 2020 model. Ordered it, which was not easy, as I live in Thailand and they make everything in Thai, and you cannot complete the transaction unless you use Safari, I finally figured out, having been using Chrome. Progress bar popped up, showing me the birth in Shanghai and and subsequent delivery window. All is good, except for the outrageous bill of nearly $5,000. After a couple of days, i was curious as to why I had no notification from Visa about this purchase. I checked the progress window and it had died. I searched email and found one which was mainly in Thai, which I had assumed was just a confirmation. Nope. It said, if you do not submit proof of being a student or working for an academic institution within two days, your order will be canceled. Which it was.

This is wrong on so many levels!!!! First of all, I'm ordering a top model and you just cancel it, without talking to me??? Second of all, how many computers have I ordered, and iPads, MacBookPros, over the years? Heavy user. Finally, I've bought every computer via the education store for the last twenty years, again easy to check, but obviously nobody cares. The process has completely removed the empathy, care and human element. I am the head of one of the top masters in marketing programs in Thailand, and have been there for nearly twenty years. I dare say I'm a bit of an influencer.

I replied to the email and had no response. Others encouraged me to write to Tim Cook, which I did, and I had no response. Why should I pay overpriced fees and be treated so badly? I will not. So this is why I said is this goodbye, Apple? I have enjoyed using your products for many years, but I have a Ph.D. in marketing, and I am a consumer who is very aware of all my options and choices, and I really dislike how I have been treated.

You need to wake up, as you have lost touch, and as Sam Walton said, the consumer votes with their wallet, and no matter how big you are, you can fall.

Sincerely,
Randall in Bangkok

Bangkok is Hot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Bangkok
Please explain your position for Tim Cook. I wrote him twice, but I guess a $5,000 machine doesn't interest him.

This is what happens when process overtakes empathy and human touch. Too late, it seems....

R
[automerge]1599911195[/automerge]
I see. Sorry. How hard to I have to work to make my little voice heard???

Bangkok is Hot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Bangkok
Just read the post. If you don't feel anything, then fine. I say goodbye, I have been abused too many times.

R
[automerge]1599911470[/automerge]
I want to raise awareness, since Apple did not reply to me.
[automerge]1599911483[/automerge]

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Hi everyone,

I've been using Apple products for nearly 30 years, and it is with pain and frustration that I share these stories. However, I am not going to overpay just to be treated like crap, and Apple has not paid any attention to me, so I am reassured that they do not care.

First of all, I have bought umpteen iPads, iPhones, iMacs, MacBookPros. I'd love to see a list from them, since they have all my behavioral data, but it would only make it hurt all the more.

I was using an iPad pro 512 and somehow, carrying it in my backpack caused a slight bend. However, it kept bending and bending on its own until it finally stopped working. Apple would not fix it, nor allow me to fix it. This is already a bad sign to me, as Samsung fixes their produce, often within one hour from my experience. I cannot imagine buying a car only to hear they will not service it, so what kind of attitude is this??? I finally broke down and paid the replacement swap fee, only to have the new one break again, just past the warranty period, despite treating it like a Disney princess. Again, no repairs, and not allowed to repair. I hoped for a final backup, so took to a third party who showed me straight out that it was not new at all, it was refurbished. This is ugly and wrong. Apple forbids us to repair their products, and they refuse to repair them, and yet it turns out they are giving us leftovers.

Goodbye iPad Pro, hello Samsung. Love it. Touch screen maybe not quite as good, but hey, they give you the stylus for free, they will service it if it needs any repairs, and they treat me with respect. Apparently something Apple cannot do.

Now enter Covid 19 and I have started preparing a lot of materials to use online. I have an iMac 2019, but talked myself into buying a new top of the line 2020 model. Ordered it, which was not easy, as I live in Thailand and they make everything in Thai, and you cannot complete the transaction unless you use Safari, I finally figured out, having been using Chrome. Progress bar popped up, showing me the birth in Shanghai and and subsequent delivery window. All is good, except for the outrageous bill of nearly $5,000. After a couple of days, i was curious as to why I had no notification from Visa about this purchase. I checked the progress window and it had died. I searched email and found one which was mainly in Thai, which I had assumed was just a confirmation. Nope. It said, if you do not submit proof of being a student or working for an academic institution within two days, your order will be canceled. Which it was.

This is wrong on so many levels!!!! First of all, I'm ordering a top model and you just cancel it, without talking to me??? Second of all, how many computers have I ordered, and iPads, MacBookPros, over the years? Heavy user. Finally, I've bought every computer via the education store for the last twenty years, again easy to check, but obviously nobody cares. The process has completely removed the empathy, care and human element. I am the head of one of the top masters in marketing programs in Thailand, and have been there for nearly twenty years. I dare say I'm a bit of an influencer.

I replied to the email and had no response. Others encouraged me to write to Tim Cook, which I did, and I had no response. Why should I pay overpriced fees and be treated so badly? I will not. So this is why I said is this goodbye, Apple? I have enjoyed using your products for many years, but I have a Ph.D. in marketing, and I am a consumer who is very aware of all my options and choices, and I really dislike how I have been treated.

You need to wake up, as you have lost touch, and as Sam Walton said, the consumer votes with their wallet, and no matter how big you are, you can fall.

Sincerely,
Randall in Bangkok

You honestly expected a reply from the CEO of the company of with largest market valuation on the planet?

You need to realign your expectations there a tish.

You, like the rest of us, are nobodies.

And Apple hasn’t said goodbye to you at all. This is your personal decision, not theirs.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Hi everyone,

Sincerely,
Randall in Bangkok

Why not just reorder and follow the policy of proving that you work for an educational establishment, rather than ranting in such an entitled way?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I honestly wrote this for them, but they do not seem to be listening!

R

This is NOT Apple! The chances of anyone in Apple’s C-Suite, or in the realms of the executive level for that matter, reading anything here is close to zero!
[automerge]1599911678[/automerge]
Why not just reorder and follow the policy of proving that you work for an educational establishment, rather than ranting in such an entitled way?

You really had to ask? /s

Bangkok is Hot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Bangkok
Yes, that is correct.

I reached, out, because others suggest I do so, so I did.

Yes, I give up on Apple, but as I said, I logged in just to write to let them know this, since they seem oblivious to me as a customer.

Anyway, good luck and good bye.

No need to bash me folks. I have a Ph.D in Marketing, I teach untold numbers of students, I am an influencer and Apple does not seem to care.

Byedie bye.....

R
[automerge]1599911700[/automerge]

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I have a Ph.D in Marketing

Given your apparent lack of understanding exhibited here, I have to ask, those now been given out in cereal boxes in Thailand?

Holy heckballs, you are mad that Tim Cook did not personally respond to your email?

How utterly ridiculous!

Reactions: Sword86

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Why on earth would I reorder. Are you sadisdic? I am not. Want to pay top dollar to be treated like crap? No thank you....

Except you're refusing to pay top dollar, asking for a discount that you then refuse to prove you're entitled to.

Bangkok is Hot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Bangkok
So listen to yourselves. I tried to order a $5,000 dollar machine which was rejected by some sort of automatic reply email.

Smart marketing?

Writing Tim Cook, of course it is a long shot, but what are my options? They have totally lost touch with their customer base which is why I logged into this forum in the first place!!! Raise awareness!!!!

Go to Samsung I guess, as nobody seems to care about me at Apple.

R

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
So listen to yourselves. I tried to order a $5,000 dollar machine which was rejected by some sort of automatic reply email.

Smart marketing?

Writing Tim Cook, of course it is a long shot, but what are my options? They have totally lost touch with their customer base which is why I logged into this forum in the first place!!! Raise awareness!!!!

R

Then go to bloody Samsung then and stop whining!

Sheesh...

Bangkok is Hot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Bangkok
Okay Tigger. If nobody answers any email, then who are you to write? This is the point of this forum, to raise awareness, maybe someone will notice.
[automerge]1599912002[/automerge]

[automerge]1599912040[/automerge]
Yes, done. And when and how will Apple ever know this until they are at the bottom of the stock market wondering what the heck happened?

Bangkok is Hot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Bangkok
Except you're refusing to pay top dollar, asking for a discount that you then refuse to prove you're entitled to.
When and where did I ever ask for a discount??? I ordered a $5,000+ dollar machine and they canceled it due to their own idiotic system....

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Okay Tigger. If nobody answers any email, then who are you to write? This is the point of this forum, to raise awareness, maybe someone will notice.

Why would anyone want to help - you’ve come here and fired off a rant that many of us feel is a post full of self-entitlement.

My company, I can guarantee you, has spent hundreds of thousands more on Apple products than you.

However we still have to follow the same path as everyone else does when it comes to any support issues of any kind.

Why do YOU feel you should be different?

Oh wait, you’ve a “PhD in marketing”...

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

Smart marketing?

R

I'm not sure they could possibly dumb their marketing down to the level of someone who believes this forum is in any way connected with Apple, without losing trillions in value.
[automerge]1599912247[/automerge]
When and where did I ever ask for a discount??? I ordered a $5,000+ dollar machine and they canceled it due to their own idiotic system....

You used the education store. The education store provides a discount. It doesn't take a PHD to work that out.

It does take a couple of brain cells though.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Oh wait, you’ve a “PhD in marketing”...

Not just that. He is from the U.S., but has lived in Bangkok for nearly thirty years, giving him an appreciation of cross-cultural differences. He is a full-time lecturer at the College of Management, Mahidol University (CMMU) in Bangkok, Thailand. He is also the director of the Masters in Marketing program and co-director of the consumer life course studies group (CLSG), which encourages research related to aging consumers. He is also active in the ASEAN Center for Sustainable Development Studies and Dialogue on research related to sustainable consumption.

And he is a big time influencer. He should add that to the end of that bio.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

[automerge]1599912040[/automerge]
Yes, done. And when and how will Apple ever know this until they are at the bottom of the stock market wondering what the heck happened?
Basically you tried to order an educational discount without submitting required proof and apple cancelled your order? Did you know you had to submit proof.

Bangkok is Hot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Bangkok
Not just that. He is from the U.S., but has lived in Bangkok for nearly thirty years, giving him an appreciation of cross-cultural differences. He is a full-time lecturer at the College of Management, Mahidol University (CMMU) in Bangkok, Thailand. He is also the director of the Masters in Marketing program and co-director of the consumer life course studies group (CLSG), which encourages research related to aging consumers. He is also active in the ASEAN Center for Sustainable Development Studies and Dialogue on research related to sustainable consumption.

And he is a big time influencer. He should add that to the end of that bio.
I guess that somehow belittles you. Anyway. I tried, okay. Good luck with your treatment from the Big *******s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.