Why has more mainstream media not picked up the screen issue story?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by electricrenaiss, Sep 19, 2007.

1. electricrenaiss macrumors member

I think only then will Apple be forced to do something about it. Remember the $100 rebate for the iPhone? Only after the story started playing in the national media did Apple offer the rebate.

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Mainstream media doesn't care about a new iPod that has Rev. A issues.

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Nobody cares...that's why. Do you even have a Touch or are you just jumping on the bandwagon...because if you did I might see your point.

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

What is with these screen complaints? Has everyone forgotten that it's an iPod? Who here is trying to do graphic design on it? Jesus.

Can your read your song title? Yep?
    Good, then shut up.

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Cue the obligatory: "If you paid $400 for a mass produced product from China, you'd want the screen to be perfect so you can see the future and smell of roses too" post.

6. electricrenaiss thread starter macrumors member

I do indded own the touch. Have had it now for 5 days and am very unhappy with it. Outside of the major screen issue, my Safari crashes sometimes as well.
    Of course, I don't mean that this story should be in the front page of the NY Times but there are plenty of recall issues and stories that get mentioned as a blurb in the papers or on channels like CNBC. Seems like the technology media is very quick to pick up on a story when Apple releases a new line of iPods but not so quick when there are obviously widespread issues with one of those iPods. Even majority of the reviews point to the issue.

7. electricrenaiss thread starter macrumors member

If all Apple wanted people to do with the Touch was to be able to read the song title, then they should market the device as such. But they market the device as being able to watch video on and when the screen that you watch the video on sucks, there should be some explanation.

8. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Understandable, but it's still not a media story. The hoopla surrounding an event and the anticipation of new product from Apple makes the media go into a frenzy, not a bum screen that affects so few products.

9. ps49556n macrumors regular

I agree with the other who say it is really not a significant story, but on attack of the show last night, a show on G4, they had some black guy who mentioned the screen issues.

10. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

I realise this may be a stupid question but if you've had the device for 5 days and you're not happy have you, in fact, contacted Apple for a replacement or rebate?

See, here's the point, there's no need to "force apple to do anything about it" because they are already doing something about it. If you get a bad product, and such things happen with every electrical device on sale today, you contact the manufacturer and they either replace, repair or refund depending on circumstances (time you've had the device) and your preferences. This is not an across-the-board technical issue as people have iPod Touch units that work perfectly, so it's not a design issue, ergo no need for a recall or anything other action on Apple's part. The only possible caveat to that is if Apple can identify specific batch numbers that may have been affected then they can issue a recall. However considering that the Touch is only just drifting on to the market now, and that people with issues seem to be content to complain on internet forums rather than actually contact Apple with useful information to resolve the issue, it's asking a lot for this information to be available at this date.

11. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Well, what's the good of seeing the future if the blacks are all shimmery and washed out? May as well just use a crystal ball then...