Why has my mac frozen?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Radeon123, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Radeon123 macrumors newbie

Radeon123

Hey there, I have a Mac OS X 10.4 and I recently forgot my password and followed a youtube tutorial and created a root account through single user mode so I could reset my password. That all went ok so then I deleted the root account via terminal. But now my computer gets stuck on the "Starting Mac OS X..." screen just before the login bit.

Can anyone help me?

Cheers in advance :eek:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Attached Files:

3. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

To recover from this, you will need to reinstall your system software:
    1. Boot from the most recent Mac OS X CD/DVD you have, so that you can use it to reinstall the operating system. Use the "C" or Option key to select the CD/DVD at startup, and you'll need to enter your Open Firmware password. Use the "Archive and install" process in the Mac OS X installer, and "Preserve user and network settings." Archive and install gives you a new "System" and related folders, and moves your old system software out of the way, retaining it.
    2. Reboot and again hold down the Option key to choose your startup disk, this time selecting your hard disk. Continue to boot normally and log back into your account.
    3. Use Software Update in System Preferences to update your system software back to the most current version.
    4. Carefully move files fromwithin /Previous Systems/Previous System 1/Library up to /Library. Pay particular attention to the contents of the "Application Support" and "Fonts" subfolders, and move subfolders/items from within those folders individually. Note: Do not just copy the "Library" folder, or the "Application Support" and "Fonts" subfolders, en masse -- otherwise, you will undo the clean system install you accomplished with the "archive and install" feature above.
    from http://www.rit.edu/its/services/desktop_support/mac/xdeletedrootaccount.html

4. Radeon123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Radeon123

Thanks for the quick reply dude :cool:

To delete the root user I created, I typed in terminal "sudo -s", then my password. Then I typed /ncil / delete/system/users/root

EDIT: Thanks rprebel, I will try it after reinstalling it with the archive option :D

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As you only need to enable the root user, as it is already there, there is no need to delete it.

Enabling and using the "root" user in Mac OS X

As of now, you need to reinstall Mac OS X, either follow any of the guides available, the link I posted or the post above yours.