Why has my new MBP slowed down so soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ss957916, Aug 23, 2009.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I've got a current MBP (2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD) which, when purchased a couple of months ago and loaded with all my apps and files, ran like a dream - started in under 30secs, Safari opened almost instantly etc. So why now is it having major poblems and slowing down so much? Here are some examples:

- Safari takes a long time to open (a good 10secs+)
    - iphoto is a complete pain. Takes a good minute or so to open, is very sluggish with regular beachball action, won't allow me to drag photos into other apps (like mail) and takes a good three to four minutes to shut down.
    - system startup takes a good couple of mins.
    - Apps regularly shut themselves down.
    - when opening iCal I always get a bar come up saying 'Upgrading calendars' for about 30secs.

My HDD is about half full so I don't see why it's having such trouble. If anyone could help me understand or help me sort it, I'd be grateful!

2. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

do you have a lot of background processes running? do you run it in a dusty place or on a carpet? possibly your ram could be faulty and so only using say 2gb of it? take it to apple and then tell me what they reckon [​IMG]

3. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So you think this is serious enough to take it to Apple?

4. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm also assuming I'm the only person having this trouble!