Why has RAM prices gone down so much?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by civilizedrat, May 4, 2007.

1. civilizedrat macrumors regular

This rapid price decent is stupendous! Just three months ago, the cheapest MacBook RAM was $70+. There's now close to 10 available RAMs for less than $50 (with word of some being $35). Is there something going on? Did hell freeze over?

Exhibit A: Newegg

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Post Christmas
    2. Post Vista Launch
    3. Market Saturation of DDR2-667 RAM

3. civilizedrat thread starter macrumors regular

How does this play a part? Is it because Vista requires at least 1GB to run?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

People bought up a lot of RAM to run Vista.

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

1. Not really.
    2. Not really.
    3. Somewhat.

RAM prices were high late last year (about $100/GB for DDR2-667) because for reasons I don't understand all the major memory manufacturers switched to a new production process at about the same time. I think it may have been related to environmental laws, but don't quote me on that. Anyway, it took them a little while to ramp up production on the new fabrication equipment, and while they were doing that the market was a little wanting for high-speed DDR2 chips. Now that they're up to speed, and now that DDR2-667 is much more common (hence more manufacturers are making it than before), prices are falling.

In January, I bought 2GB of RAM for my iMac and it cost $196, and that was the best price. A month and a half ago, I bought 2GB for my MacBook and it only cost $130. I don't think it will go much lower than it's at right now though, which is roughly $50/GB for a good deal.