Why has the time machine icon replace Macintosh HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jawad7, Oct 30, 2007.

1. jawad7 macrumors member

Hi - just getting used to leopard. I opened up time machine to see what it was all about but my ext. hard drive wasn't big enough to do anything - something i will look forward to using in the future.

The problem is that now - the usual hard drive icon that went with Macintosh HD has now been replaced by the time machine hard drive.

Anyone any suggestions on how to resolve this to revert it back to the hard drive icon?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I had this you could try selecting the drive, press cmd+I then select the icon at the top of that window and press beackspace.

This worked for me but it reappeared later on. A restart resolved it fully.

3. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

I think I know what the problem is here! It's Time Machine. How can I put this. Uhhh, you see...

Time Machine just turned your hard drive into a portal. Strange, yes? I know my theory may sound crazy, but bear with me. This is how it works: It enforces relative coexistence of convergent entries from two para-dimensional subspaces into a quantum metaphysical universe and the exponential decay of said linear pathways in the event of fluctuations in the space-time cortex.

Err... scratch that. Just try the backspace method listed above. ;)

4. Styx macrumors newbie

Happening here also and backspace didn't work

I believe what is happening is showing a visual relationship between two drives - intentional by Apple, IMHO. If this is the case, I would like to know, but just a guess.

BTW, the backspace solution did not work. I am going to try and reboot the system with the Time Machine drive disconnected and see if the original icon restores.

More to follow...

UPDATE: No such luck, but I did notice that once I rebooted and then plugged the external drive back in, the external drive had the standard firewire icon which changed before my eyes to a Time Machine backup. I still think it is a visual queue that tells you that it is being backed up by Time Machine. If anyone has any updates, please most.

5. un1ty macrumors member

Did you ever find a solution? I've had this problem since I installed Leopard on my G5. My mbp and ibook don't do this.

6. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Way to funny; but perhaps upsetting to OP. ;):D