Why has the update screwed up my wireless net?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LondonGooner, Jul 26, 2007.

1. LondonGooner macrumors regular

I updated the software on my Macbook last week and since then ive been having really annoying trouble with the net.

Previously, when i opening my macbook i would click on the wireless signal tab at the top of the screen, after 10 seconds it would find my internet, and i would click on it for it to become active. No problems.

Now, it automatically does this for me; great. However every 20 to 40 mins, the connection drops (even though the signal sign doesnt show this, its still shows as online). I have to wait another 30-40 seconds for it to reconnect. Usually i wouldnt be to upset about this, but its totally ruining playing World of Warcraft. I cant tell you how many times ive needlessly died or been disconnected...im frustrated to the point im considering leaving the game. Its also affected my AIM chats, and i more often than not am on a 5 minute delay in chat rooms; again ive got to the point where i cant enter chats in AIM.
    At first i thought that it was a WoW problem because there was also a patch update at the time, but then its persisted for the last 10 days & AIM/Safari are also effected by this change.

Anyone know whats wrong? Im really desperate for some help...thanks

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

It is a bug in 10.4.10, apparently. I experience the same thing you do- dropped connection. I have to turn off Airport and turn it back on again in order to get it to work. It sucks. It really does.

However, it's causing some people's computers to kernel panic. So, it really could be worse for both of us. Hopefully, an update will come soon.

3. LondonGooner thread starter macrumors regular

Does turning it off & on again, fix the problem, or do you still have drop offs afterwards?

The main reason for my frustration is that im paying money to play WoW & ive wasted 1/3 of that time/money.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

It fixes it quicker than waiting for it to fix itself, which is what I used to do. It is an immediate fix...but it doesn't reduce the number of times it drops. It still drops every hour or so (just a wild guess on time frame).

5. LondonGooner thread starter macrumors regular

ah right. usually im playing my game so it takes me a while to realise its gone off, so its better to just wait.
    ditto on the time frame.

thanks for letting me know its just not a problem on my side of things. Any idea if apple know about this?

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

The problem is widespread enough that they know, and as I said, it's a lot more serious than the symptoms we've been experiencing, so it's just a matter of getting it fixed and putting out 10.4.11. Like the wait for an iPhone update, this one can't come soon enough for me either.