Why hasn't Apple / AT&T released the detailed purchase / activation / rate plan info?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cjandnw, Jun 26, 2008.

?

Why have Apple / AT&T not yet announced the final release details

Poll closed Jul 10, 2008.
  1. Apple / AT&T have not ironed out the details

54 vote(s)
    44.6%
  2. The details are concrete but periodic releases like last year create HYPE

38 vote(s)
    31.4%
  3. Details are confirmed but testing / FCC / other issues have not been resolved

7 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. This is just fun for them

22 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. cjandnw macrumors 6502

I think the reason is this:

They wait to release the confirmed time of sale, finalized rate plans about TEXTS, MMS? etc. to create hype.
    All of us calling the stores, going to the stores etc. creates hype and demand. The more people are talking about it, the better chance that someone not aware of the impending release of iPhone2 hears about it.

There are many people unaware of the new iPhone.
    Daily; when I pull out my stupid RAZR V3xx (because I sold my iPhone June 6th); people ask me what happened to my iPhone.
    When I tell them about the new one on the horizon, they are surprised.

Just like last year we will experience the following announcements in no particular order periodically up until launch:

Confirmed rate plans
    Activation procedures
    Number of phones alllowed per customer
    Time of launch
    new native apple supplied apps
    new apple supplied features and / or upgrades
    new accessories
    itunes updates

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

my theory: AT&T cant get their S^$T together

Evidence: Its AT&T

Theory supported.

you turn guys:apple:

3. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

What good does it do if we get out info. now or in one week? Either way we still can't buy the iPhone until the 11th.

Closer to launch date you'll start seeing the commercial on TV, ads and banners will go up and then the hype shall begin.

4. tritonj macrumors 6502a

teasing you with glimpses of a new product creates hype
    slowly releasing details about a product creates hype
    announcing a product and then releasing 6 months later creates hype

but not announcing a rate plan or upgrade paths doesn't do anything but create misinformation and frustration. so they aren't doing it to generate hype, they just don't anything to announce yet, and they aren't in any hurry to do so

ATT simply hasn't decided all the details yet, there are probably a few camps within the company and neither has been able to win the battle yet, it isn't just about selling a phone and a service, it is about maximizing profit for the phone and the service. so they are probably trying to figure out all the numbers

they want to make sure they are squeezing every last penny you would be willing to part with on phone and service, otherwise they would be leaving money on the table

5. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

What evidence? :confused:

6. cjandnw thread starter macrumors 6502

The sooner accurate, concrete information is released the better for Apple / AT&T because:

--Businesses (and individual users) can decide if the iPhone / Crackberry is right for them based on what it will cost to maintain
    --Stores, employees, shopping centers can better prepare for the sale process
    --potential consumers can determine NOW if they need to save $299 + 30 activation + ?$ accessories + whatever
    --Potential consumers can better plan for the sale TIME 8AM or 6PM, take off work etc.
    --Businesses (and individual users) can decide if the iPhone / Crackberry is right for them based on what FEATURES are included
    ----MMS, Voice turn by turn, Copy paste, other features separating the iPhone from Crackberrys. (We know that the UI on the iPhone is second to none, but people choosing without prior experience with the iPhone UI willl be potentially swayed by the feature list 1st, UI 2nd)

My humble opinion.

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

8. xbigman15x macrumors member

Nice, i think that is the perfect theory. The first theory proposed makes no sense whatsoever, no att is not trying to create hype. What has happened since Apple released info about the iphone 3g? Tons and tons of people complaining about the lack of MMS, no text inclusion, high rate plan prices. ATT can't get anything together right because they are not gaining money on this whole deal right now and therefore they need to do what is best for them as a company. It is all about profit. At the same time, ATT isnt stupid because they know that iphone users would greatly appreciate MMS, inclusion of text and lower rate plans. It is my theory that they are going to include these thing later so just hold off. It is possible they will release details of these things near the release or they will release these new features in the coming weeks. Why? because they know there are going to be tons of early adopters that will buy it regardless, then they release additional stuff that would entice all those who didnt adopt extremely early. But that seems a little too complex for att so i will go with the theory of them not knowing where they want to go with this whole thing. They want to sell as many iphones as possible by getting as many new users as possible while keeping many existing ones. They just haven't figured out the best way to do that while still raising profits. It's a tricky business they are in and they kind of have to walk a fine line between what the consumer wants and what is best for the company.

Plus, why would they need to rush things? Is anyone breathing down their back besides the annoying fanboys? That was something else wrong with your original theory, i am pretty sure they don't want all of us calling them every day asking questions.

9. cjandnw thread starter macrumors 6502

I see your point and periodically have agreed with you.
    Maybe I just give these exec's too much credit. I find it hard to believe that with 2 weeks until launch, the details have not been solidified. These plans, features, details, times etc. all have varying degrees of impact on Apple's / AT&T's infrastructure.
    Specifically, computer programming for online / POS transactions, train the trainer programs, advertisement (print, media etc.), displays in stores, scheduling, iTunes to AT&T to iTunes internet communications etc.

Maybe this can be done quickly when agreed upon and maybe you are right. I just think that is too much to rush at the last minute.

But I am the type who leaves for the airport the day before my flight.

10. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I DON'T KNOW! and I wish I knew... Great Poll, it's too bad that there's an equal chance it's one of the four or a combination.

11. cjandnw thread starter macrumors 6502

...or maybe the longer they wait to release final info, such as the day before launch, people have already made their minds up to get one and a $5 SMS or $10 MMS package requirement may not deter people on the fence.

But I still believe they know what the terms will be.

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

We'll probably see something solidified after the July 6th training session, or we'll see something as we are standing in line on July 11, 2008...LOL :p

13. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

Totally agree with you.

14. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

As others said.. There is no benefit to releasing the information early. You can't do anything with it. They want people to wait and have to make a decision when they can actually buy the product, not in advance. If you get to stew on the details before you can buy it, there is a much greater chance of backing out.

No benefit to doing it now.

15. Rozvagyj macrumors newbie

they only need to release the info when they train the employees (7/6). anytime before that stops all the hype up and the speculation... apple capitalizes on all these speculations.

16. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

apple won't sell the phone, nor did o2 release.

17. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

I thought "everyone" said the prices have been solidfied via ATT, and they are the $30/month for data, plus your text minutes...and voice minutes.

18. MojoWill macrumors 6502

they just want to see if they can get 100,000 whining posts on MR.......

patience is a virtue guys!

19. cryo macrumors member

Some people actually have to budget for their purchases in advance, so for some consumers there is a need, not just a benefit, even if it doesn't benefit the company quite as much. I have no idea if I can purchase the phone, or for how much.

I am also surprised I have not seen one commercial on TV yet for the phone. I would think Apple would want to hype it further in advance, as I know for a fact some people didn't even know the phone was coming out.

20. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Well you know how much the phone is...

So get to budgeting. You know how much the plans are... Get to budgeting.

Not sure what else you are looking at.

Advertising is on hold. If you see the leaked Roger Memo there is no advertising allowed by them for 13 weeks POST launch.

This makes decent sense if Apple already thinks demand and supply are met. There is no need to advertise something that is going to nearly sell out right away.

For the original phone they had to hype it up and create exposure. Seems they don't need to do so now.

How do you not know if you can purchase the phone or not?

21. Mahram macrumors newbie

I, for one, find it extremely frustrating that I can't plan ahead and figure out exactly what kind of plan I'm gonna be able to afford.

Really, though, it's infuriating to me that they have so many conflicting messages / reports. If nothing else, getting their story straight from ALL sources would ease my frustration quite a bit. Releasing the info would be the icing on the cake. (Whipped cream frosting, please, not that horrible butter cream stuff. Yuck!) :)

22. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Yea details seem sparse this time around... I think it's a bad move on their part because people can't really plan to switch over their carriers and have enough time to figure things out... You can't roll on Hype alone, everyone just wants the details so they don't get ripped a new one on launch day.

23. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Maybe they dont want to piss people off with the pricing issues or something. I dont know. I just wanna know so I can work out all of the kinks and know what Im gonna be dishing out to ATT every month. Hopefully their service has improved since the last time I was with them.

So excited for my 1st iphone though.

24. YoungKevin macrumors member

I think Apple & AT&T have everything ready to go. I think all info is on a need to know bases. They only tell you what you need to know which will be the cool features and later on right before the release the silently mentions the bad so they wont get sued for false advertising. They tell you everything the phone can do and get you talking about it then the hype is built then they tell you what it can't do but by then all the good outweigh the bad.