Why Hasn't My Debit Card Charged?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imsostupid, May 17, 2012.

1. imsostupid macrumors newbie

Hello,

Something weird just occurred. I bought a MacBook Pro at the Applestore two days ago. When i used my debit card, it was first rejected. Tried it again, rejected. Tried for the third time rejected. The rep at the store informed me that sometimes I have to call in to get a limit lifted. As i walked out the store, i received an email from my bank saying that they blocked some suspicious transaction (this was my first time buying something over 2k). After going through this automated process confirming that it was me trying to purchase something and not someone else, the computer said that it lifted the limit and to try again after ten minutes.

Instead of waiting the ten, the rep just swiped the card and it was accepted.

Fast forward to today. The charge is still not on my statement. I even called in to hear my recent transactions and all it says are the denied transactions but it does not mention the transaction that was accepted. on my apple store receipt, it says the card was charged though :X

Should i call my bank first to see whats going on?

2. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Just wait. Depending on the your bank and the business' bank, it may take several days for the charge to be posted. Give it at least a week.

3. FrankRibery macrumors newbie

it can takes longer for the charge to appear on your statement. I think it's normal.

4. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

Depending on the bank's posting system, the authorization may not be published until that charge actually posts to your account. Banks usually post within 24 hours to mitigate overdrafts, but this transaction may have been handled as an exception since it was in the hands of the fraud group at the bank.

The advise to wait 10 minutes is normal, but changes to limits are real-time so no surpise that it worked right away.

If you are really concerned, call your bank and they will be able to see the transaction.

5. imsostupid thread starter macrumors newbie

oh alright. Its just that, Im planning to return the machine before my return period is up. Im hoping that it shows up on my statement before then so I won't have any issues when I return it.

6. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

That doesn't matter to Apple - if you have the receipt and return the machine within 14 days, Apple will send in a credit to your bank and it will post to your account (even in the unlikely scenario that the bank totally screwed up and never posted the debit in the first place).

7. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Why are you returning it and did the charge ever show:confused:

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I've never had a debit charge take more than a minute to appear on my online statement. It can take 2 or 3 minutes until the alert comes to my iPhone through my bank's app, but never, ever two days.

9. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Probably wants to use this, then hope the new one is out by then.

10. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Have you talked to your bank? That's the first place one should go when questioning a charge against their account.