Why hasn't someone developed a Video Recorder?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hellomoto4, Dec 4, 2008.

1. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

Yes, I understand that SDK limitations may prevent this but I am unsure of the full limitations so I apologize in advance if this is actually another one of those annoying questions.

Anyway as the title suggests, why hasn't anyone done it? Can it actually be done?

Just wondering. :)
    Thanks.

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Someone may have done it, but maybe Apple denied it so we don't have it in the App Store.

3. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

apple is probably not allowing video recording onto the appstore because they might be making their own form of it, but that is just my opinion, I hope it's true but only time will tell.

4. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I do believe Cycorder was denied at the app store. There are multiple programs on the jailbroken side for video recording with audio. You can even put the phone in sleep mode let it record away. I sat in the balcony and set my phone up and recorded the whole concert, about an hour and a half and it used just over 1/2 the battery. Very cool. Just FYI, the iPhone camera is limited to around 15 FPS in good lighting. Not fantastic but it looks good for a phone and audio sounds good as well.

Not going to try to defend or convince anyone to jailbreak but it's out there...

5. thelarster macrumors newbie

lavrishevo - how large was the file?! Was that with Cycorder?

6. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I don't understand why the XBOX can't play PS3 games. I understand that the technology is different, but I don't fully get it, so I'll ask anyway.

8. hellomoto4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

Thanks for the responses.
    I don't understand why Apple would deny it; one, it would save them a heap of time developing one (if they ever were going to); and two everyone would be happy with Apple doing next to nothing.

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Lol, they don't care about saving time. Why would they want some 3rd party to make an application, and probably charge for it, when they can do it the way THEY want and control it.

10. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Why do you think they want to control it? Makes no sense to me why Apple insists on controlling their products so much. I can understand if after you bought your iphone you had to continue to pay for updates and new features but you dont.

Think about the most complex product you come up with.....for me, just quickly I would say that a vehicle is very complex. Once you buy it from the dealership you can add anything to it you like.

11. Ademius macrumors regular

Wasn't it becuase excessive video recording caused overheating in one of the chips? And this would lead to warranty claims. I don't think we'll see it (w/o JB) with the current hardware set.

12. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

Because Apple only makes available one call to a high-level object code that allows us to take a photo; when shoot, the photo is made available to the application.
    No program can mess with the camera framework if the phone isn't jailbreak.