Why hasn't this been done?(PS3 UI control from the iPhone)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OZMP, Dec 28, 2008.

1. OZMP macrumors 6502

Hey all,
    One thing that bugs me alot about my PS3 media setup is how i am stuck using the PS3 controller to navigate the media player UI and web browser when it could be alot nicer if there was an iPhone App. to do it, much like the Apple iPhone/TV bond haha. Obviously there is the SONY/Apple Barrier, but could it be done if I learnt how to code?

Cheers,

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I was thinking the very same thing just tonight. Although, I find the dualshock fine at controlling blu-ray playback, there is still money to be made with an app.

Not more than $.99 though.

3. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

The reason it hasn't been done is because nobody's developed it.
    I'm sure it's possible.

4. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I don't think you can do such an app since the PS3 is totally a closed system, you will never get the API's from Sony.

But it would be super cool!

5. Aurial macrumors 6502

The controller and remote control for the PS3 work via bluetooth, and we all know how cripled the iPhone is in that department. So you wouldn't be able to use your iPhone to control the PS3.

The very best you could hope for would be to use your iPhone via remote play like you can with the PSP, but there aren't any apps to do this and I can't see Sony ever releasing one as it might decrease sales of the PSP and they're struggling enough with that at the moment.

Writing your own 'client' for remote play would be an emormous, if not impossible job to accomplish. Who knows how the PSP and PS3 communicate, or what pairing information they have to share? I think you're flogging a dead horse with this one.

6. archipellago macrumors 65816

7. OZMP thread starter macrumors 6502

ps3 was free over 6months ago with my TV.

PS3 has WiFi, iPhone has WiFi, would that not be possible? That is how i control iTunes :confused:

8. Aurial macrumors 6502

The PS3 has not built in compatability with the iPhone. It allows you to stream media and games plus control your PS3 all from your PSP.

No software can run on a PS3 unless it is signed by Sony, and so unless Sony would be willing to sign such an application one cannot be developed. If one was developed I seriously doubt that they would sign it because of the current Remote Play features of the PSP/PS3. This feature is one of the selling points of the PSP and I doubt they would let another device by another manufacturer provide the same functionality.

The PSP is a bit of a lame horse for Sony at the moment, with very few games being produced for it. Remote Play is one of the few things it has going for it right now.

9. OZMP thread starter macrumors 6502

thats the bit i needed to hear,
    thanks for that.

if a mod could lock the thread but leave it for others future searches?

10. Bambino88 macrumors newbie

So how bout an update about this right now, since the new 3.0 allows the required bluetooth connection and there are 3rd party p3s controllers for sale so how would an iphone not be able to send the same signals?

11. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Well in cydia there's upnpav, it allows you to play your music on your iPhone on the ps3 wirelessly. Seeing as my ps3 is connected to my home theater system it worked great on 2.2.1, but it's not compatible with 3.0 yet.

12. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I just have the PS3 remote, its like $15 and works great.

13. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

This is the best I could find.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

I was wondering about this too. Esp since harmony now makes an adapter which you can buy which will send the signal even if you have an RF remote.

Surely someone can program an app to do this. And I am sure they could make a tidy some in doing so

15. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

16. samcraig macrumors P6

17. lolwutidiots macrumors newbie

Oh man, so many awesomely funny stuff here:

Yes, take some COMPUTER SCIENCE classes in highschool, or your local college, you'll be writing bluetooth drivers and reverse engineering stuff in NO TIME!

Yes, and people still buy 360s. Is PS3 hatred some sort of virgin religion? It amuses me how people think their OS/console/phone is some sort of a religion. Do yourself a favor and get a personal identity.

Lol wut? PS3 was free with your TV? Congrats! Who gave you your iPhone, your mum and dad?

I'm glad they both have wifi. That means they should be best buds right? I have a tshirt that detects wifi hotspots, that means it must be able to control to my 27" iMac right?

I love iPhone kids. Greatest mobile development platform, silliest users :D Keep on paying our awesome valley salaries buying stupid $0.99 apps thanks!

18. drumma022 macrumors newbie

19. unidogma macrumors newbie

Iphone Remote for PS3 Released

Yipee, You can now control your Ps3 using a software on your :apple: Iphone , it gives you extra info on the movie etc Excellent, its Called BD TOUCH ;)

Your welcome
    Shaun@PCexorcist.com;)

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That's just...not true. All BD Touch does is allow you to access extra content through your phone/iPod. Beyond that, it's not even implemented into all Blu-Ray movies, I think it was on like 10 or 15 the last time I checked. There is currently no way to control your PS3 with your phone. While it would be nice in some ways, I can't see that it's more practical than my controller, which I already have, or just buying a PS3 bluetooth remote for $40, and Sony certainly isn't going to let you control games or even netflix with an iDevice app.

21. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

WeBe+++. 5$ on cydia

That's what I use to navigate through my ps3, I can even use it to write messages on it.

22. Blkmagik21 macrumors newbie

Idiots

Why is everyone ragging on Sony here? It's not there fault there is no app for the iDevices. It's apple and the fact they deny 80% of apps submitted to them.

If there is an app available on Cydia that controls your PS3 then it's not Sony stopping u. It's apple.

Don't get me wrong, I love apple and their products. And if it wasn't for them denying a lot of apps there would be a lot of crappy, buggy, stupid apps like on the droid platform. But apple also likes to deny an app because it could compete with them in the future. Now I'm also not to mad at this because I own a business and you do what it takes to make money and grow your business.

One day soon Apple may just allow this app thru.

As it seems Apple has done a good job growing their business. As it sits they are the top tech company world wide.

People need to read into things more before posting stupid comments.

23. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

24. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

People need to stop bumping old threads. How about that one?