Why hasn't W. Mossberg reviewed the Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ACiB, Jun 18, 2012.

1. ACiB macrumors member

I'm just wondering. Steve Jobs always considered him a vital critic to his products, and even a friend. Walt always gives constructive Apple product reviews, so does anyone know why hasn't an All Things D/Mossberg Retina MBP review surfaced yet, when all other major Tech sites have already done so?

2. Moriarty macrumors 6502

It's only been a week - maybe he needs more time? I'm waiting on either Anandtech or Ars Technica to put out a review (not sure if Ars is working on one. They rarely review products, but what reviews they do write are excellent). Anandtech is definitely working on one, so look out for that perhaps this week. His review will be incredibly thorough and in-depth.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

And common sense told you that someone on MacRumors would know the answer to that question? Maybe he has personal issues preventing it. Maybe his schedule hasn't allowed it.

4. ACiB thread starter macrumors member

Hey brand, i just wanted some opinions, if you.have nothing to say, then don't. Anyway, looking forward to Walt's and Ars' reviews.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Maybe he wants to be more through than a quickie "I've used it for exactly one day" review. Maybe he has other products in the queue. Maybe he's waiting for more 3rd party apps to be Retinized. It could be a host of reasons, none of which I'm sure anyone here would know unless they can read minds.

6. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Maybe mosspuppet was more a fan of Steve Jobs than he was of Apple's products. He's been a fair bit more critical as of late since Jobs has passed away.

I've never found mossberg's reviews to be very insightful, and now that Steve is gone, I can see him delaying or even delegating reviews for some Apple products.

7. MR1324 macrumors 6502

because his reviews are useless to the technical crowd

8. chilly willy macrumors regular

chilly willy

Well, they are pretty balanced and helpful to those less technically inclined, who want a review source they can trust but who won't also confuse the heck out of them discussing benchmarks.

I'm kinda of a tweener, and for functionality oriented reviews, I like Mossberg. If I want a critical assessment of hardware specs, I can come here. :)

9. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I don't know about anyone else, but when a new gadget is released, and the reviews start slowly crawling in, I like to read the specific real world functional descriptions and uses of that gadget. Since Walt gets em first, I read him.

He reviews for a Newspaper, not a Blog or techno-mag so naturally he needs to keep it simple for the masses, I like getting my early fix until I get that gadget in my hands....

10. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Assuming he's actually going to review it, I think I'd prefer that he actually use the machine for a while before releasing a review. It would make for a better review since some quirks of gadgets don't come up within the first few hours of usage.

It's better than Engadget's and everyone else's reviews which basically consist of 'here's how it looks and here's some pictures, now please click on this 'review' so we get more ad revenue'.

11. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Rodney King was going to review it but he took the easy way out...

12. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I hate his reviews. They are short. He's a tool.

13. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

Did I miss the Anandtech review? I saw the new Air review is kind of hidden and not on the front page OR the Mac section. Odd.

14. CUsurfer macrumors member

Great review, I couldn't agree more with almost every aspect of this review. Thanks for posting. I really wish Apple had made the retina display a BTO option for the classic MBP. It's unfortunate that they are most likely going to kill off the classic MBP next year and move forward with the new retina form factor. Of course no one can know their true intentions, but it comes off like a big middle finger to the Mac power-users. It really grinds my gears that Apple is forcing us to choose between flexibility/upgradeability and the newest display tech.

15. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

16. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Andy is awesome. That guy is probably the most down-to-earth "Apple" guy I've ever seen. He's such a nice contrast to the average Apple "fanboy" reporter, while still appreciating Apple products and giving credit where it's due. If you've ever watched him on Macbreak Weekly, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

17. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

internet tough guy super hero avengers unite!

18. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I listen to him every week on Macbreak Weekly: Andy is one of my favorites, and I love his sense of humor in his writing. :)