Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ken91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2022
I looked at the new M2 MacBook Air in an Apple Store recently and came away thinking how thankful I was for going ahead with my purchase of the previous wedge-shaped MacBook Air. I was hoping the new MBA would look better in reality than the photos and videos I'd seen online, but it actually looked worse. The flat design is boring and already looks outdated, it was covered in smudges and fingerprints, and the notch and Touch ID button on the keyboard both stick out like a sore thumb. It just lacks that sleek perfection that the previous MBA design had, which actually looks more futuristic now than the new M2 MBA. I just don't understand why Apple is doing this, taking big backward steps with the look and feel of their products. They've already done this with the new iMac, and MacBook Pro, and now the new MacBook Air. Moreover, the new Apple Watch Ultra is the ugliest device they've created in years. Why are they doing this? The reason I loved Apple products in the first place was the sleek minimalism and beautiful aesthetics of their products but they are slowly eroding that approach to design. Is it because Jony Ive has left?

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
The problem with this thread is everything you're saying is just subjective.
You're entitled to have an opinion, but be aware that's just what it is: an opinion.
Just because you don't like the current offerings doesn't make them objectively bad or 'ruined'.

Last edited by a moderator:

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
I have to say, while I personally like the new Air, I think the old super-slim design was better. More portable, which would be the point of the Air.

And to me the current Macbook Pros look a little too thick and blocky, compared to the sleeker previous versions.

Ken91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2022
The problem with this thread is everything you're saying is just subjective.
You're entitled to have an opinion, but be aware that's just what it is: an opinion.
Just because you don't like the current offerings doesn't make them objectively bad or 'ruined'.
Not sure if IRL you're used to your opinions being unquestioned by your peers and taken as facts, but considering how you've voiced them here, quite probably you are.
You might find internet-land to be a bit of a culture shock.
Ridiculous comment. The whole point of a comment section is to come on and express your opinion and get a discussion going. Twitter is a subjective opinion. Letters to newspapers are subjective opinions. Op-Eds are subjective opinions. You may not know this but might find internet-land is full of subjective opinions.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Ridiculous comment. The whole point of a comment section is to come on and express your opinion and get a discussion going. Twitter is a subjective opinion. Letters to newspapers are subjective opinions. Op-Eds are subjective opinions. You may not know this but might find internet-land is full of subjective opinions.
Your attitude doesn't promote discussion: it promotes confrontation.
We get plenty of folks like that round here.
They post something controversial and spend the next ten pages telling everyone who doesn't agree with them that they're brain-dead simpletons for not agreeing.
But fine if you accept it's just your opinion, and that other opinions are just as valid.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
I looked at the new M2 MacBook Air in an Apple Store recently and came away thinking how thankful I was for going ahead with my purchase of the previous wedge-shaped MacBook Air. I was hoping the new MBA would look better in reality than the photos and videos I'd seen online, but it actually looked worse. The flat design is boring and already looks outdated, it was covered in smudges and fingerprints, and the notch and Touch ID button on the keyboard both stick out like a sore thumb. It just lacks that sleek perfection that the previous MBA design had, which actually looks more futuristic now than the new M2 MBA. I just don't understand why Apple is doing this, taking big backward steps with the look and feel of their products. They've already done this with the new iMac, and MacBook Pro, and now the new MacBook Air. Moreover, the new Apple Watch Ultra is the ugliest device they've created in years. Why are they doing this? The reason I loved Apple products in the first place was the sleek minimalism and beautiful aesthetics of their products but they are slowly eroding that approach to design. Is it because Jony Ive has left?
The M2 MBA works within its design language and the way they approached having a thinner bezel is much better than a lot of manufacturers. It is also thinner than the previous MBA. Maybe the reason it was covered in smudges and fingerprints is oh I don't know, it's in a store?

The new iMac actually had the involvement of Jony Ive and is a callback to the original iMac with the colors. Would you have complained about colors and "sticking out" when the first iMac came out?

The Ultra was designed the way it was for the purposes of ruggedness and matches the design language of some traditional watches.

And if you are buying Apple products simply for how they physically look, there are plenty of other products out there that will rip off Apple's designs in the coming months to choose from. No one is stopping you from buying one.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I'm still surprised they're calling it the MacBook Air. imo it should simply be the "MacBook" now. I agree the wedge design looked much better, but the new design isn't horrible or anything. As for the AW Ultra--it's supposed to be rugged, not a dress watch. You have other AW models for that.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Your attitude doesn't promote discussion: it promotes confrontation.
We get plenty of folks like that round here.
They post something controversial and spend the next ten pages telling everyone who doesn't agree with them that they're brain-dead simpletons for not agreeing.
But fine if you accept it's just your opinion, and that other opinions are just as valid.

imo both of you came on pretty strong. Just saying!

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
They look outdated and anachronistic with that bulky, boxy design. The new MBP looks similar to my ancient Macbook Pro from 2006
I quite look like the boxy rounded corners design. I also like the nod to the old 2000s era design, which imo were the best Apple laptops. Indeed, the TiBook was iconic with the boxy silver body and black keyboard. And the aluminum PowerBooks/Macbook Pros that followed were amazing. Give me more of that!

jmckenzie

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2022
The thing I didn't like about the classic Air design is that, because of the wedge, the center of gravity is further to the back when it is sitting on your lap, so it is less stable. Always feels a little precarious. I haven't gotten my mitts on an M2 Air, but the way the 13" MBP sits on my lap feels much better. Another case of putting function over form, as Apple is doing now.

I do agree that the Ives-era tapered shape across all laptops looks great, and the new designs look a little more generic, but the M2 Air is arguably the most distinctive of the "new era" laptops, just by virtue of its slimness.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
The thing I didn't like about the classic Air design is that, because of the wedge, the center of gravity is further to the back when it is sitting on your lap, so it is less stable. Always feels a little precarious. I haven't gotten my mitts on an M2 Air, but the way the 13" MBP sits on my lap feels much better. Another case of putting function over form, as Apple is doing now.

So strange how different people can have totally different takes on things like this that you'd think would be pretty objective phenomenons. Neither with my 2013 MBA nor my 2020 MBA have I felt it as being imbalanced or precarious when using on my lap. Now, if the back were hanging off my knees instead of being on my knees, then maybe I could see that, but I've never positioned a laptop in that way.

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
I rather like the new iMac and find the MacBook Pros to be plain-looking, but are so technically good that I can accept the form in light of the function.

I do think the Air is step backwards in terms of design. I get that it shares a design language with the Pro range, but it lost its distinctiveness in the process and the Pro design language was hardly anything to write home about.

The Air wedge is practical, iconic and attractive and I will miss it once the M1 goes at some point.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but it actually looked worse. The flat design is boring and already looks outdated
I disagree, I found the MBA prior to the M2 upgrade to be a bit dated, the wedge design has been with us since day 1 it seems dated to me. The new design with better use of space, and the inclusion of magsafe so you're not using a usb-c/TB port is a great idea.

I think the consensus is that the M2 MBA is a hit and many people are enjoying the updated look. I count myself as one of them.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Personally, I have owned/used three MBAs. Currently, I have a base M2 MBA. I liked the wedge design, and I like the current M2 design. Honestly, I don't really think about it. What I do notice is the quiet fan-less operation and 18 hour battery life. Also, the improved camera is a plus for Zoom/FaceTime calls. Everything runs buttery smooth on Ventura. Although not significant, the M2 is lighter and thinner than my previous MBA.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Sorry, M2 Air is the best Apple computer I've ever owned. Only thing I would change is throwing a third USB4 port on the right side just so I can dock on either side.

This is coming from owning a 14" MBP before. I don't miss the display at all (I don't watch movies or TV on my laptop, and gaming is on other devices, so this LCD is fine for looking at code all day.) The notch just disappears for me, and if it bothers you then just install top notch and you'll never notice it. Battery life is better on the Air by far for mobile development, since a majority of time I am just editing text.

I also have midnight and the fingerprints bothered me at first, but now they are just part of the look. If you don't want fingerprints, get the standard colors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.