iPhone 7(+) Why have broken glass replacements doubled in price?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Seanm87, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Seanm87 macrumors 6502

a few years ago if I cracked my iPhone 6 screen it costs about £80 to replace. I’ve cracked my iPhone 7 screen now and it’s £156!? iPhone 6 replacement is now like 136 when did these prices suddenly jump up?

I don’t have Apple care and it was in a case believe it or not.

2. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Your iPhone 7 screen has force touch and is a higher quality display plus it has an adhesive seal for water resistance

3. Seanm87 thread starter macrumors 6502

But iPhone 6 has gone up by £56 as well?

4. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Is this through Apple or 3rd party? Regardless, businesses will always raise prices as long as people are willing to pay or the demand is there. Maybe the biggest part of the price difference is how much they charge for labor now and not the part.

5. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

Yes it's insane.

Now have a look at the prices for the back panel of 8 and X and u'll see that they lost their mind.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

What does Sammy charge to replace the screen on their top of the line phone?

Is there an official place you would take your Samsung phone to get this done or is it all mail in.

7. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Your solutions range from Samsung to repair places to do it yourself.
    Cost ranges from $50 to $250 or kits around $30. It pays to shop around.
    If you have an official Samsung Repair Center nearby, they usually have walk in service and are moderately priced.

Note: This is for the S8 / S8+

8. newellj macrumors 604

Camera parts are integral with those backs - you can't compare prices vs. the 7 and earlier.

9. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

Well this is also the case since iPhone 6 and some models before. The ring and Saphire glass was part of the back.

But in the end it's a design choice by Apple how they build it, how easy to repair and how expensive.

10. ddrulez macrumors regular

I think Apple is just greedy. It’s sad but they want as much money they can get from you. They make really good products but the price policy isn’t the best to say it politely.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

But very few companies will make the exceptions that Apple does for their customers. So many times when they could charge customers for resources and parts for iPhones, they will opt to help the customer in ways other manufacturers will not. Is Apple’s pricing expensive, yes. But their customer service standa behind their product and keeps many devoted because of how they rank with customer service in the tech industry.

12. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

Does Apple reinstall the adhesive seal when they replace the screen or the battery? It's a very meticulous task, so the added labor cost seems justified.

13. Endorphine88 macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

Special glass and special process to preserve the water-resistance rating.
    Also, I'm assuming it's just because a cracked screen is the most frequent issue and this is a way to "encourage" people to get AppleCare and handle their devices with a little more care :)
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2018 ---
    From what was explained to me, they have a special machine behind the scenes that does this to make sure it's uniform and compliant across all stores.