Why have the iMac and the Mini in the same forum?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by depulse, Mar 11, 2009.

1. depulse macrumors member

The Macbook and the Macbook Pro are in different forums, how come the iMac and the Mini, which have much greater differnces are in the same sub-forum?

Maybe this has been discussed to death in the past, then please disregard this post.

I just find it strange, when looking for info regarding the iMac I need to shift through alot of posts related to the Mini, and vice versa.

2. PurpleCliff macrumors regular

PurpleCliff

I agree ... I only come to this area for threads concerning the iMac - and have to go through so much stuff about the mini. It gets confusing ... :confused:

3. SydneyDev macrumors 6502

It reflects Apple's own separation between pro and consumer lines.

4. lamerica80 macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

I agree, separate them, Im a mini guy, i dont care about IMac.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

They are both desktops. Now they have some similar parts, such as 9400m.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Originally the iBook and Powerbook forums (and later Macbook and Macbook Pro) were in one single forum.

The forums had been organized as "Notebooks" and "Desktops." However, with rapid growth in the site in late 2007 and 2008 (and the arrival of the Macbook Air), it made more sense to split the notebook forum into 3 distinct subforums because their traffic was quite high.

It could conceivably happen with the iMac and mini subforum, but it all depends on traffic and manageability.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't know if there is enough interest to warrant a separate mac mini forum. If it gets a lot of traffic it probably should be, if not I don't see the point.

8. kabunaru Guest

If the MacBook, MacBook Air and MacBook Pro are separated, then the iMac and Mac Mini should be separated.

9. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I don't think that they should be separated. The Mini and the iMac are both consumer products. Whereas the MacBook Pro is a professional/prosumer product, and the MacBook is a consumer product. There is a reason to separate the MBP and MB, there isn't a reason to separate the Mini and the iMac.

Don

10. kabunaru Guest

So what?
    Separate is the better choice. More organised this way too.

11. Yvan256 macrumors 601

The only different between the MacBook and MacBook Pro is the CPU speed, the GPU, screen size and a couple of ports. They're both laptops and I don't care what Apple thinks the target market is for each.

As a Mac mini user/buyer, I really don't care at all for the iMac and its built-in screen. In fact it's never going to be an option for most Mac mini users. I also hang on 123Macmini.com and most people there probably agree with me on the built-in display, all-in-one idea. We use a Mac mini because either we can't afford better or because the Mac Pro is just too expensive or downright insanely too powerful for our daily usage. We also want to control the size and quality of the display connected to our computer.

The same probably goes for most iMacs users, I assume, because they don't want a tiny 2.5" drive, no GPU choice and a mess of wires and they prefer an all-in-one computer.

12. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I'll throw in an "agreed" on this one. I like things neat and tidy. :D

13. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Here's a better question: Why complain about it?