Why have they made Maps act as if "it knows best"?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Xandros, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Xandros macrumors regular

I'm sure the directions ability of Maps is often under scrutiny from those that use it a lot in as much as it's not as good as this that and the other when compared to something like Google Maps or a dedicated Sat Nav, but I'm not about to make comparisons. All I want to know is why Apple made the damn thing with a superiority complex.

To explain a few things that I'm constantly having a problem with it; first of all, it seems to ignore my choice of route. Say I put in point A to B and ask for directions, it shows me two possible routes (even though there's actually a third route I can take which is just as good as it's alternate choice if not better). The first route wants me to go on a motorway. I don't like driving on motorways so I change to the alternate route, and start navigation. While driving I realise it's directing me towards the motorway. On inspection I realise it's randomly changed the route back to the first suggestion that I brushed aside. I'm 100% not ********ting. It's done this to me at least three times in the last few months. I'm not sure if it's my fault and I didn't do something I was supposed to (I made the alternate route highlight by tapping on it and pressed the blue car icon next to the time then pressed start so I don't see how it could have mistaken my input or if I missed anything).

Secondly, as stated above, it shows me usually one or two routes, sometimes three, but not always a third or fourth. In fact I've never seen it offer me a fourth route, it usually only offers me two. There's a regular route I started taking over the last few months that I don't know so I used the sat nav to learn the route. Maps only ever shows me two routes from A to B but I've since found there's a third route that's just as good if not better than route B, but Maps doesn't seem to think I need to know about it.

Thirdly, and here's the clintcher and kind of ties in with the above two points. There's supposedly a little known trick to get it to display alternate routes that avoid roads like highways and suck. You set it to walking mode instead of driving. Yea, that's all fine and dandy. I did this once and sure enough got a route through the countryside that looked like a nice scenic alternative to the motorway, however while driving along it's directions I became suspicious when it directed me to the opposite direction I assumed I was to go in, I stopped and looked and found it had switched from walking to driving and again had picked the first choice.

I set it to walking again, picked the scenic route, again, set off, and within seconds, the ****er was telling me to do a U-turn. Stopped again, and yet again it had changed back to driving mode and set the first route option again.

Please tell me I'm not the only one that has this sort of issue with Maps? I'm sorely tempted to stop using it an djust download Google Maps again. That wasn't perfect but at least it gave you a bit of choice on your journey.

2. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

My Nokia Here maps on my Lumia 1520 gives me one option, so...

3. Xandros thread starter macrumors regular

Well, like I say I didn't want to draw comparisons, though I expect with so many different devices with their own navigation applications around these days it's hard not to say it's better/worse than something else.

I've avoided mentioning the fact Apple Maps apparently can't tell it's left from right sometimes. My friend can attest to this as he was int he car with me. First it told me keep left, when I was supposed to keep right, then got stroppy with me when it realised I'd gone the wrong way. Later on it directed me to take the third exit on a roundabout, so I did. It then got stroppy again and told me to make a U turn. Turns out by third exit it actually meant the second exit.

4. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Might have been glitch or a rerouting because you took an alternate route.

5. Xandros thread starter macrumors regular

No idea, but probably. I seem to be a bug magnet with computers. I should have been a beta tester... If an application program, firmware, driver, operating system, a game, or something as superfluous as a navigational aid is used by me, you can bet your backside I'm the poor bastard who'll encounter the one bug that makes it do something completely unexpected or outright break.

It's a good job I don't work in a nuclear power station.

6. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Ouch on the left/right issue.

7. Rhonindk, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015

Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Apple Maps is improving. That said, it still sucks when it fails.
    I have not had this issue but my daughter/son-in-law have in the Oceanside/San Diego area (he's a Marine) with their iPhone's. They have dedicated GPS units (Garmin) in their trucks as they can't trust their phones.

For me, yes, route choice is an issue.
    I occasionally try it then revert back to Google Maps.
    Apple Maps does seem to want "its'" route when selecting driving directions.
    Just wish they would bite the bullet and use Google Map API's for Apple Maps.

8. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

i thought apple maps actually uses tom-tom for mapping and navigation. Nevertheless, the ability to customise the route with "via" this and "via" that would be nice and/or ability to remove certain roads from the route so it recalculates around it <- it does this when there is traffic but manual would be nice as well.

9. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

Maps is still possibly the worst map/nav app I've ever used. I always use Google Maps or Waze when I actually need reliable directions and/or traffic info. One of the reasons being exactly what you posted. Regardless of what alternate route I've chosen, it always reroutes to its preferred route. Google Maps almost always gives me 3+ route options if the route is long enough. Apple Maps usually only shows 2.