Why haven't Apple upgraded their displays?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by welch, Mar 11, 2008.

1. welch macrumors newbie

Can anyone shed any light on why Apple haven't upgraded their displays for so long?

I'm just going to order a new MBP and wanted a 23" cinema display but there seem to be better options with Dell and Lacie, the apple displays spec is poor!!!!

Can anyone offer advice on the best solution for a superb screen?

thanks

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

My guess:
    Sales are satisfactory, the profit margins are probably through the roof, people buy them for the design even with reduced features, and there is nothing 'special' they could do with current technology that would justify the price premium, so they don't bother.

Also: Almost all Mac's come with built in monitors. Except the Mini which is marketed as 'bring your own' (unlikely to pony up for an Apple monitor) and the Mac Pro which is a small market.

3. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

It would be nice if they added an iSight into the monitors like they've done with the iMacs and laptops especially since they've discontinued them.

4. Jayrod macrumors regular

I think just about everybody saw an update to the monitors coming once Apple discontinued the iSight cameras. It seemed like the logical thing that would happen, but alas, we were all wrong. Does anyone know why they stopped making the iSight camera?? Albeit Mac Mini and Mac Pro consumers may be a smaller market compared to other Mac users, but that is still a load of people left out in the cold.

5. cloudnine macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

I've had my 23" ACD for about 2.5 years now and I still think it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. The picture is bright and crisp, and the 1920x1200 resolution is perfect, as is the contrast ratio. I wonder why everyone always complains about them. As far as a built-in iSight, I kinda like it the way it is; the design is clean and simple... so nice :) I think that explains why they haven't updated them for a while...