Why Haven't Developers Utilized This Tool?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maverick1337, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

In-App SMS is the only reason for some people to jailbreak their phone. When Steve Jobs announced the new features of iOS 4.0, this was the first thing I saw and I was really excited. I have a question, why isn't this utilized yet? I haven't heard anyone on Macrumors talk about this yet. Are the tools simply not available yet for developers at the moment?

Attached Files:

2. MikhailT macrumors 601

Because not everybody have text messaging plans and if developers make this a mandated part of their application, they'll lose a lot of customers right away. Push notification/email makes more sense than SMS.

3. Maverick1337 thread starter macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Why does it have to be mandated in their app? Why can't they provide it as a setting you can toggle on/off?

4. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It's not what you think it is. In-app SMS as a developer tool is the ability to send an SMS from the app for some purpose related to the app (voting in American Idol or something like that I guess). It's not a universal thing that allows you to send an SMS from anywhere to anyone.

I too was hoping it would be the latter, since that's currently one of the major reasons I jailbreak (the others are tethering and SBSettings)

5. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Because it allows the app to send SMS... It's not a feature that lets you reply to an incoming message without quitting an app...

6. chembox macrumors 6502a

This.

Obtrusive pop-up notifications suck.

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It's just like the email feature that was in prior versions of iOS.

I've seen a few Apps use the SMS feature, but it is of course quite limited and not what the OP thinks it is.

8. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

What the hell is this feature? Oh and come on the US must be one of the only countries in the world to not have mandatory text plans. Jeez talk about year 2000 :p

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

No idea where you get that from, but very few places do have mandatory text plans.

10. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

All the uk iPhone plans have texts inclusive?

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Here's a screenshot of the feature in Spotify.

Attached Files:

• sms.png
      sms.png
      File size:
      195.4 KB
      Views:
  12. satirev macrumors 6502

wouldnt there be an in app option to turn this on/off? it wouldnt be mandatory...

13. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Like I said, very few.

We're in the minority.

14. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Ah I have used that feature

15. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Really I'm sure that's not the case?

16. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

17. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Many countries in Europe, and in places like Australia have very expensive SMS plans.

There are also people using PAYG.

I'm not too sure why you see forcing people to buy something they might not need as progress.

18. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Pay as you go I'd admit is different but I was talking about pay monthly

19. admanimal macrumors 68040

I'm not sure what you can do on a jail broken phone but all in-app SMS does is let the app automatically populate the recipient and message fields of a text message. The user still has to manually press send, and the app has no access to incoming messages at all. Ultimately it is of limited usefulness, which is why not that many apps use it.

20. Maverick1337 thread starter macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

With a jailbroken phone you can get an app that when you are in another application say a game and you get a text message, a window pops up and you can respond to the message within the application your currently in WITHOUT exiting said application/game.

21. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

Unless I am misunderstanding what everyone is saying, isn't this exactly what one of the most popular games on the iPhone does; Words With Friends allows you to send and receive text messages with your opponents as you are playing the game, right from within the game. And the text messages are not based on your contacts, but based on who you are playing against (their in-game username) so you can be playing with someone on the other side of the world you don't even know, but be sending text messages to them from within the game. I play it every day with several people. Is this what you are asking about?

22. admanimal macrumors 68040

Words With Friends must use its own implementation of text or instant messaging then. As I said, the in-app SMS API doesn't do anything but help you compose a new text message from within an app.

23. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

24. shandyman Suspended