Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belair

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
I just watched the new video from Snoop Dog and Pharell and in the video Snoop is wearing white earbuds.

So I tought cool, some more free advertising for the ipod, then at the end of the video THIS:

Now if that logo would have been a diamond apple logo, that would have been OK, very "pimpelesque" but OK. Hp did not invent the ipod, they don't deserve to have their logo set in diamonds on the back of the ipod.

This is wrong.

:mad: end of rant!

Attachments

• hp-pod.jpg
    hp-pod.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 327

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Don't worry about it. Apple didn't invent the iPod either -- these people did -- and Apple get paid for the hardware no matter whose logo is on it :)

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
its still an ipod. thats what matters dude.

besides, hp has a hype machine, and their ceo is far more aggressive about getting hp above and beyond dell....so they're going to work twice as hard to have their name in diamonds.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
edesignuk said:
How is it "wrong", HP paid for the plug, Apple didn't, simple as that
wtf.gif
HP either paid for the product placement, didn't demand a product placement fee for use of their logo/product, or freely allowed them to do it.

If was always odd to see the Crown Vics in the tv show Hack driving around with the Ford logo blacked out on all the Fords on the set, but the Mercury logos on the other cars were still there.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I don't see anything wrong with it, it's still an iPod. As far as I'm concerned HP is doing a great thing with the iPod. I personally know of three different people that have HP iPods because they didn't know the original was compatible with windows.

HP is bridging the gap, nothing bad can come from more iPod sales.

imeowbot...love your avatar. :D

belair

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
evilgEEk said:
HP is bridging the gap, nothing bad can come from more iPod sales.

I got to agree with that.
It just looked a bit off, that huge Hp logo set in diamonds…
Did you see the new video of Gwen Stefani, she's got an apple ipod. better :)

One could do a list of all the videos an ipod appears in.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
a) It's an iPod Case
b) HP paid for the placement, not Apple
c) Apple doesnt *MANUFACTURE* the iPod (or it's components) but they did *DESIGN* the iPod. Don't try to take credit away from Apple's IDG.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I don't really see what the big deal is about this, HP did everything fair and square if you ask me. The question is, will we eventually see iPod minis and iPod photos from HP as well?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah seriously, Apple agreed to an HP iPod, and you're venting because HP actually wants to sell a few, and advertise it as well?

And Snoop isn't the only one who's customizing his iPod. Diddy has an HP iPod with diamonds as well, so whatever.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I see nothing wrong with an hp iPod but my question is this:

What are the differences between the hp iPod and the Windows iPod on the Apple website? And could the hp iPod hinder sales of the Windows verson on the Apple website? or am I just thinking to hard about it?

Well, that's about it for me on the hp iPod.

coldspot

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2004
Florianópolis, Brazil
belair said:
I got to agree with that.
It just looked a bit off, that huge Hp logo set in diamonds…

One could do a list of all the videos an ipod appears in.
Who cares? Are you crazy? :confused:

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
HP made it for them, and gave it to them on the condition they use it in a video. 90% of rappers "ice" is on loan, they don't actually buy all that crap.

then again...some of them do (MC Hammer :D).

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
belair said:

Actually, I think it's an HP one. Why? Because the video also includes an HP laptop, HP photo printer, and (I think) HP digital camera.

mrfloppy

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2004
ipod??

why is it an Ipod it can be a creative zen or zen xtra like I have it has more gb's (60) and has kind of the same dimensions....

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
mrfloppy said:
why is it an Ipod it can be a creative zen or zen xtra like I have it has more gb's (60) and has kind of the same dimensions....

well....1) the ipod is fairly distinctive, and is definitely smaller than a zen....and 2) gwen stefani has some sort of deal with hp and apple, since her image and branding are on some of the "ipod stickers" hp makes.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
mrfloppy said:

Why would you even want to compare a Zen to an iPod? Just to prove how much superior the iPod truly is? :cool:

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
Got to love apple zelots and I am sorry but this is another example of how big of babies the zelots become at time

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
iMeowbot said:
Don't worry about it. Apple didn't invent the iPod either -- these people did -- and Apple get paid for the hardware no matter whose logo is on it :)

Supplying parts is not the same as inventing or developing something. Yamaha used to supply engines to Ford but the car was not invented or developed by Yamaha, only the engine.

In any case, I'm happy to see the iPod popping up nearly everywhere due to HP's distribution. I even found it at BJ's Wholesale Club at a very reasonable price. There is no drawback to this situation. Apple wins, HP wins, and the people at Portal Player win too. Most important, the consumers win and I'll finally be able to get an iPod with a warranty in Floriduh.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
So many questions...

Timelessblur said:
Got to love apple zelots and I am sorry but this is another example of how big of babies the zelots become at time

What's a "zelot"? If you meant a "zealot" then yah, I'm not a big fan of them either... Why do you "got to love them" though? And why are you "sorry"? Who are you even referring to, you didn't quote anyone...

Lastly, how does someone become "big of babies" - are you referring to a woman pregnant with twins? "Become at time" what? What time are they becoming at? Noon? A quarter past five?

:p :cool:

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
joepunk said:
I see nothing wrong with an hp iPod but my question is this:

What are the differences between the hp iPod and the Windows iPod on the Apple website? And could the hp iPod hinder sales of the Windows verson on the Apple website? or am I just thinking to hard about it?

Well, that's about it for me on the hp iPod.

I think Apple allowed HP to do this to keep HP out of the market as they did not need another Dell.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
StarbucksSam said:
I think Apple allowed HP to do this to keep HP out of the market as they did not need another Dell.

This is a very good point. Although the iPod has been doing very well against its competitors, it is now facing some stronger competition from various other players which are all becoming comparable or superior the the iPod in functionality/features at an attractive price point. HP is a big player, and if Apple can have them on their side, then that's one less competitor to worry about and one big company to have out there promoting your device in a sea of others. Plus, since HP = Windows/PC world, having a partner like this selling iPods is excellent as more of that PC/Windows market segment will be influenced by a company like HP, which they are no doubt slightly more familiar/comfortable with than Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.